Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Antony Joseph <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/22 12:56:48 UTC

Memory leaks during indexing.

Hi all,

I am using *Lucene* 2.3.1 and JCC 1.6 to create an *index* of my
python-based application(for searching).Everything is working fine.After
some time(3 hours later) i found my python memory consumptions is grown to
high when i started the applcaition(indexing) the  python consumption is 40
mb , after 3 hours the python consumption shows 140mb . *The *performance of
Indexing become poor and memory leaks.

please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks
Antony

--
Antony Joseph A
DigitalGlue

Re: Memory leaks during indexing.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Can you post the Python sources of the Lucene part of your application?

One thing to check is how the JRE is being instantiated from Python,
ie, what the equivalent setting is for -Xmx (= max heap size).  It's
possible the 140 MB consumption is actually "OK" as far as the JRE is
concerned, if it was told it's allowed to use that much heap (or more).

Try letting it continue to run for a very long time to see how the
size grows... if it's really a leak it will truly keep growing and
eventually hit an OutOfMemory exception in Java or Python; if instead
it's just the JRE thinking it's allowed to use that much heap it
should at some point level off, but possibly at a high value.

Are you able to get the same memory leak to happen with a java only
version of the Lucene part of your application?

Mike

Antony Joseph wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using *Lucene* 2.3.1 and JCC 1.6 to create an *index* of my
> python-based application(for searching).Everything is working
> fine.After
> some time(3 hours later) i found my python memory consumptions is
> grown to
> high when i started the applcaition(indexing) the  python
> consumption is 40
> mb , after 3 hours the python consumption shows 140mb . *The
> *performance of
> Indexing become poor and memory leaks.
>
> please help me to solve the problem.
>
> Thanks
> Antony
>

> --
> Antony Joseph A
> DigitalGlue
> antony@digitalglue.in
> T: +91 22 30601091

escaping logical operators such as OR AND

Posted by Ar...@equifax.com.
helo all,

In my project, we are indexing the US states...when we try to search on
oregon ; state:OR, search on OR is throwing err...i know OR is a logical
op in lucene...is there a way to escape such keywords?

tx!

Regards,
Aravind R Yarram
Enabling Technologies
Equifax Information Services LLC
1525 Windward Concourse, J42E
Alpharetta, GA 30005
desk: 770 740 6951
email: aravind.yarram@equifax.com
This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail postmaster@equifax.com.