Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Andrews <pa...@prospeed.net> on 2007/01/03 16:13:39 UTC

Re: whitelisting "from" and not "return path" addresses

HI,
After whitelisting my own email address, it seems that spammers will frequently put my own email address in the "return path" but not in the "from". Is it possible for Spam Assassin to make a distinction between the two so that it will not match the "return address" to the whitelisted address?  Below is an example of such headers:

----------------------

From: "Leonard West" <sc...@fm-bank.com>       <------------------ not my address, not in whitelist
To: pandrews@prospeed.net
Subject: wicked shall not; that he his wages be in sending a
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:17:10 +0200

Paul

Re: whitelisting "from" and not "return path" addresses

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Paul Andrews wrote:

> After whitelisting my own email address,

The canonical answer: Don't Do That. The headers are too easy to
forge.

You should only use the authenticated whitelists (i.e.
whitelist_from_spf, whitelist_from_rcvd).

  Users mistake widespread adoption of Microsoft Office as the
  development of a standard document format.
 14 days until Benjamin Franklin's 301st Birthday