Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Kukulies <ku...@kukulies.org> on 2017/08/01 10:09:22 UTC

404 - servlet not found (7.0.52)

I'm pulling my hairs at the moment for a servlet is not being found
which worked before.

I have a class in webapps/servlets/WEB-INF/classes/My.class and sections
in web.xml for this:

     <servlet>
         <servlet-name>My</servlet-name>
         <servlet-class>My</servlet-class>
     </servlet>

and a mapping:

     <servlet-mapping>
         <servlet-name>My</servlet-name>
         <url-pattern>/servlet/My</url-pattern>
     </servlet-mapping>

What I did last was to add another class Mytest in the same directory.
But it gave an error 404 (found later that I forgot the mapping for that
class), deleted the lines for the servlet section for that again .

I also deleted ~/work/Catalina and reverted everything back to the old
state (where only My was defined).

Now work/Catalina/localhost/servlets is empty (!?).

The invoking page is:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<frameset cols="50%,50%">
    <frame name="left" src="/servlets/servlet/My" />
    <frame name="right" />
</frameset>

I'm clueless at the moment.

--

Christoph

Re: 404 - servlet not found (7.0.52)

Posted by Zemian Deng <ze...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat should emit a parse error during deployment / startup of your
application something like

"SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.WebXmlParser.parseWebXml Parse error
in application web.xml"

However the Tomcat server itself will continue to load and run. It just
that your webapp alone will failed to deploy.

Posted by Christoph Kukulies <ku...@kukulies.org>.