Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bryan Cassidy <b_...@bellsouth.net> on 2003/11/26 20:33:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange File appears

I'm using Apache+ddclient+mod_php4 and after a few days of installing
apache from the ports on FreeBSD 4.8 I have a *blank* file in
/usr/local/www/data/ called EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING

 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     0 Nov 25 12:12
EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING

Why would this file just appear in my data dir on apache? I sure didn't
create it.

Re: [users@httpd] Strange File appears

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:33:33PM -0600, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> I'm using Apache+ddclient+mod_php4 and after a few days of installing
> apache from the ports on FreeBSD 4.8 I have a *blank* file in
> /usr/local/www/data/ called EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING
>
>  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     0 Nov 25 12:12
> EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING
>
> Why would this file just appear in my data dir on apache? I sure didn't
> create it.
I noticed this recently as well - it was added on FreeBSD in one of the
latest updates.  If you goto http://www.freshports.org/ and search for
apache you can view the history of the port and see when / why it was
added:

http://www.freshports.org/www/apache13/

if you look down to the 1.3.29-1 update you find:

Add warning file names to *-dist directories to prevent people modifying
them.

Also:

[21:04:19] munk@users /usr/ports/www/apache13# grep
EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING . -ri
./pkg-plist:www/data-dist/EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING
./pkg-plist:www/cgi-bin-dist/EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING
./Makefile:     @${TOUCH} ${PREFIX}/www/data-dist/EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING
./Makefile:     @${TOUCH} ${PREFIX}/www/cgi-bin-dist/EXAMPLE_DIRECTORY-DONT_ADD_OR_TOUCH_ANYTHING

so you can see the command is executed via the Makefile.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/