Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2013/03/27 13:34:44 UTC

Site Indexing

Hi

Since our migration from the old Confluence based site to the new Apache CMS based site, we actually have an almost duplicate site: The old one in the /site tree and the new one in the remaining URL space. The idea is to keep the old pages around for reference until the new pages have been updated/fixed.

It looks like this is causing some confusion in our user base, so I suggest the following:

(1) keep the /site as intended
(2) setup a /robots.txt to prevent indexing of /site
(3) change the links to the old site to ref=nofollow

I have created FELIX-3999 and attached a patch to the site to this avail.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3999

--
Felix Meschberger | Principal Scientist | Adobe

Re: Site Indexing

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Felix,

On Mar 27, 2013, at 8:34 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Since our migration from the old Confluence based site to the new Apache CMS based site, we actually have an almost duplicate site: The old one in the /site tree and the new one in the remaining URL space. The idea is to keep the old pages around for reference until the new pages have been updated/fixed.
>
> It looks like this is causing some confusion in our user base, so I suggest the following:
>
> (1) keep the /site as intended
> (2) setup a /robots.txt to prevent indexing of /site
> (3) change the links to the old site to ref=nofollow
>
> I have created FELIX-3999 and attached a patch to the site to this avail.
>
> WDYT ?

These steps make sense, and I think we should also set a deadline after which we completely remove the old pages.

At the same time, we hope that before that time people either when they release a bundle or at some other time just update their pages and delete the old ones.

Greetings, Marcel