Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2022/07/03 23:46:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] How we choose a PMC chair

As you know, Calcite has a tradition of choosing a new PMC chair (VP)
each year, around the anniversary of the project's graduation[1][2]. I
think this is a great tradition, but I'd like to discuss an
improvement to that process.

(I'm starting the conversation now - several months after the previous
vote, and several months before the next - so that it's clear that I
am not criticizing the process or the outcome or previous votes.)

I've noticed that the outgoing chair sends an email on dev@ saying
words to the following effect:

  I think Xyz would be a great person to succeed me.
  What do you all think?

(I fear that I may have started this tradition when, at the end of my
tenure as first chair, I approached Jesus and asked him whether he'd
be prepared to do the job[3]. Mea culpa.)

After such an outright endorsement, especially on a public list, it
would be churlish for someone to reply "Actually, I think Abc would be
better." As a result, it's rather difficult to have an open debate,
and the candidate selected by the outgoing chair tends to win
unopposed.

I suggest that the outgoing chair says something like

  It's time to change the PMC chair.
  Please send nominations to private@ and the PMC will discuss and vote.

That would allow for several nominations, allow people to give reasons
why they prefer a candidate (without disparaging other candidates),
and lead to a more informed outcome.

What do you think? Are there any other aspects of the election process
we should change?

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/rmj9qm9wlol3nb7z4phddoljbgvypkrt
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/5tzb8w655pj2vo9omz20th5jnbn9zww7
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/y4wjdj5h1y3sypnlmhpoz9r6bkk3cv6o

Re: [DISCUSS] How we choose a PMC chair

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Let's move on with the original proposal by Julian. It is always good to
hear what other people have to say.

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
+1 from me as well.

Posted by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the improvement.

As the current chair until the end of the year, when do you think it would
be a good time to send the email to the dev list with the message "It's
time to change the PMC chair, please send nominations to private@ ..." to
start this discussion? Around beginning of December?

Best,
Ruben

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.