Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2005/10/27 18:15:13 UTC

Xalan migration from CVS to Subversion

The Xalan committers have voted to move from CVS to Subversion as the code
repository.

This will most likely happen early to mid next week (Nov. 1 or 2).  There
is a Subversion test repository that should look like the code when
migrated (thanks to Henri Yandell). Please have a look (especially Xalan
committers) and post to xalan-dev@xml.apache.org if you have concerns, or
even if it looks OK.

Thanks,
- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau
Apache Xalan PMC

----- Forwarded by Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM on 10/27/2005 12:08 PM -----

             Henri Yandell
             <bayard@apache.or
             g>                                                         To
                                       Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
             10/11/2005 11:50                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Xalan migration...

Okay, here you go, test migration:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xalan/

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xalan/java/trunk xalan-java
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xalan/c/trunk xalan-c
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/xalan/test/trunk xalan-test

Should give you something to look at. I had to add the following flags:

cvs2svn --dump-only --dumpfile=java.dump --force-branch=XSLTC_DOMImpl
xml-xalan/java

cvs2svn --dump-only --dumpfile=c.dump --force-branch=LotusXSL4C_1_3_0-390
--force-branch=LotusXSL4C_1_3_0 --force-branch=LotusXSL4C_1_0_0
--force-branch=LotusXSL4C_1_3_1 xml-xalan/c

cvs2svn --dump-only --dumpfile=test.dump --encoding=latin1 xml-xalan/test

The --force-branches are because CVS gets a bit confused sometimes and
you end up with a tag-name which is a tag in N files and a branch in a
few; or a branch in N files and a tag in a few. The xalan-c ones were tags
which had been modified a few times, so I went ahead and let them become
branches. The xalan-java one was a branch that had never been edited and
was a tag in a few files, so I let it stay a branch. Safest course of
action.

The --encoding is because xalan-test has some odd characters in the
filenames. So checking any obscure filenames you have would be a very good
thing to do; it should stay the same provided they fit within latin1.

If there are problems, I think we can do other encoding things, I've just
not had to yet.

Let me know how it all looks,

Hen

Re: Xalan migration from CVS to Subversion

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Brian.

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 2005-10-27 12:15:13 PM:
> The Xalan committers have voted to move from CVS to Subversion as the
code
> repository.
>
> This will most likely happen early to mid next week (Nov. 1 or 2). There
> is a Subversion test repository that should look like the code when
> migrated (thanks to Henri Yandell). Please have a look (especially Xalan
> committers) and post to xalan-dev@xml.apache.org if you have concerns,
or
> even if it looks OK.

     I checked out copies of xml-xalan/java/trunk and
xml-xalan/test/trunk, compared them with the source in CVS, ran smoketest
and smoketest.xsltc.  Everything looked good.  I didn't experiment with
any branches, though.

     I want to alert everyone to the problem with using date revisions in
Subversion for code that's migrated from CVS.[1]  If you're used to using
dates in CVS to track down when and why a problem was injected into the
source, you'll find that a little more difficult with Subversion - at
least for the migrated revisions.  Once we switch over to Subversion
completely, all new revisions will be recorded in chronological order and
won't exhibit the same problem.

Thanks,

Henry
[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#svnproblems