Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/06 21:02:37 UTC

3 node Kafka cluster with 3 node ZK ensemble

Hi,

Assuming that we are building ZK and Kafka as a messaging system.

Two scenarios we consider.

   1. Deploy 3 physical hosts (as opposed to VM) and create a Kafka cluster
   there. On the same physical hosts create three ZK cluster.
   2.  Deploy 3 physical hosts (as opposed to VM) and create a Kafka
   cluster there. Deploy  additional three physical hosts and put ZK on them.

Option 2 will be more expensive obviously and I was wondering what
additional benefits it offers besides adding to the cost?

Also there is another dimension to this. Kafka read and writes are normally
serial and on a new version of Kafka say 0.9 or above the offsets are not
stored in ZK anymore. In contrast ZK uses random access which tends towards
faster disk?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com