Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Xin Hua Sun <xi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/20 04:31:32 UTC

Re: Question for commom daemon

Hi All,

  I try to use Common Daemon in my application and have some questions as follows;

  (1) download
  I try to download common daemon binaries from web link.
  I find the file "commons-daemon-1.0.1tar.gz" under binaries directory.
  But in subdirectory 1.0.1/linux, there is a file "j2sdk1.4.2_linux-2.6_i386.tar.gz".

  What's difference between these two file? (I saw the file size is not same. one is 97K and another is 46K)

  My machine is red-hat linux x86-64 and using j2sdk1.4.2_10.
  It looks like "commons-daemon-1.0.1tar.gz" is for all kind of platform.
  Which one I should download?

  In "What to do to get the excutable" part, it say "Write a rc shell (see in src/samples and src/native/unix/native/Tomcat.sh) to get your java application started as a daemon.
  But I can't find src/samples and src/native/unix/native/Tomcat.sh. Where it is?

  If I download the source, I find the file "daemon-1.0.1.tar.gz" under source directory.
  Is it a good idea I download the source and build at in my machine?

  (2) Using jsvc
  In daemon/jsvc.html page, it mentioned there are two ways to use jsvc:

  a, via a class that implements the Daemon interface
  b, via calling a class that have the required methods

  Which way is easy? Can you give me some example?

  If I use implementing the Daemon interface, I have to implement all the interface in the followws?

  init_JVM()
  load_service()
  start_service()
  stop_service()
  destroy_service()
  destroy_JVM()

  What I understand is I can implement my own implemention in start_service() function and stop my own implement in stop_service() function. I don't know how I implement other interface function such as init_JVM(), load_service(), destory_service() and destroy_JVM().
  Can you give me some help?

  If I directly call the calss, why I need to implement the following methods;
  void load(String[] arguments)
  void start()
  void stop()
  void destroy()
  I only want to use this daemon to implement my own application. Why I need to write other thing and how to write it?

  (3) Common Daemon overview document
  Another question is how I can get more detailed information about common daemon so I can use it more easy. Can you give me some link so I can get more information?

  Thanks for your help.

  Best Regards,

  Xin