Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn> on 2005/05/08 17:33:02 UTC

Announcement: The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!

Dear HiveMind users,

I am glad to announce (after a long silent period) the new release 0.4.0 of
HiveTranse on SourceForge.

Now the project has changed name into "HiveMind Utilities" but the URL have
not changed however.
This name change is due to the fact that the project now hosts a bunch of
various utilities dedicated to applications built with HiveMind, and is not
just limited to transaction management.

It must be noted that this release is still working with HiveMind 1.0 only.
It will probably be the last release to work with HM1.0, the next release
should be a port to HM1.1 (but lately I did not have much time to play with
the latest HM1.1 beta however...)

The original SourceForge announcement is at the end of this mail.

Please do not hesitate to give a try to the various modules provided and to
comment on these.

In 1-2 weeks time, I hope I will release a pre-version of HiveBoard (also on
SourceForge), a client/server shared whiteboard system based on HiveMind
(and HiveMind Utilities of course). This could be a good way to get quickly
started with the possibilities of HiveMind Utilities modules.

Cheers

	Jean-Francois Poilpret

Announcement on SourceForge:
	The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!

At the occasion of 0.4.0 release, the HiveTranse project team is glad to
announce several modifications into the project.

First, due to its wider scope, the HiveTranse project is now renamed
"HiveMind Utilities", however the name code on SourceForge still remains
"hivetranse".

In release 0.4.0, the HiveMind Utilities project has had the following
modifications:
- refactoring of hivetranse.utils module into hiveutils module and renaming
of packages in this module (net.sourceforge.hivetranse) to
net.sourceforge.hiveutils.
- removal of web.utils module, which content has been moved to hiveutils
module.
- new features added to hiveutils module, in particular a new ObjectBuilder
service that can create and cache any kind of objects, and inject
dependencies into them (can be seen as a hivemind.BuilderFactory for a wide
range of objects (each such object is defined in a configuration point in
order to ease usage of this feature).
- renaming of hivetranse.transaction module to hivetranse.core. No package
has been renamed however.
- creation of new hiveevents module.
- creation of new hivegui module.

To summarize, HiveMind Utilities project, as of release 0.4.0, contains the
following modules:
- hiveutils: set of useful classes and services for HiveMind-based
applications
- hivetranse.core: advanced generic transaction management framework
- hivetranse.jdbc: support for JDBC persistence layer in your DAOs
- hivetranse.hibernate: support for Hibernate persistence layer in your DAOs
- hivetranse.ibatis: support for iBATIS SqlMaps persistence layer in your
DAOs
- hivelock.core, hivelock.shared, hivelock.default: support for security
management (authentication, authorization, stateful services)
- hiveremoting.caucho: "Web Services" support for your HiveMind services,
through Caucho's hessian and burlap protocols (over http).
- hiveevents: event notification service

For more information on HiveMind Utilities project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hivetranse/

The HiveMind Utilities team

Re: Announcement: The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!

Posted by Hugo Palma <hp...@digitalis.pt>.

Jean-Francois Poilpret wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why go to java.net? Is there something wrong with SourceForge?
> Actually, I am not really keen on starting a "war" among OSS repositories
> but I'd like to understand why SF "could not fit"...
> Hence I would prefer staying with SF (as long as it fulfills my needs and
> the needs of the community; I will later see if I have problems setting up
> the CVS when I have time...).
>
> Honestly I have to say that the "administrative" work is not what I enjoy
> most ;-)
> So changing from one site to another, having to relearn how to upload files,
> upload web content... is a bit of a hassle for someone who prefers to spend
> time on active "code production" (I suppose you all see what I mean;-))
> In addition, I am a faithful guy, so I would need a really good reason to
> change.

Well i have no real opinion on this, from what i've read it's more a
question a personal taste and image. So whatever you prefer i think it
will be great. The most important thing is not where it's hosted but
more the amount of features that is offered to Hivemind Utilities users.
As more and more users are likely to come across the project(even more
after the link is posted on hivemind site) i think it would be essential
to have:
  - An issue tracking application.
  - A forum.
  - CVS access.
  - Good documentation.

With all this i think this project would be able to grow much much faster.

> Regarding the sourceforge name "hivetranse", after all it is just used in
> URLs, it is easy to provide a link that hides this "awful" name:

> If you do a simple search of "HiveMind" in SF, you will find (among other
> results):
>
> Project Name: HiveMind Utilities
>
> So no "official" hivetranse name there. Why bother?

I think it's a matter of image don't you think ? I would prefer if the
sourceforge project name would be changed, it's just cleaner.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Announcement: The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps it would be easier to start over on java.net than continue on
SourceForge?

On 5/11/05, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I think putting a link to the HiveMind Utilities project would be a
> wonderful idea.  Although, I would recommend changing the URL first.  Can
> you create a new SF project named hivemind-utils (actually hivemind-contrib
> might be more suitable, as it follows the usual naming convention that other
> projects use)?  Then, we can put a link from the main HM site that says,
> "Check out the contributions the HiveMind community has made!" or something.

of
> HiveTranse on SourceForge.
>
> Now the project has changed name into "HiveMind Utilities" but the URL
have
> not changed however.
> This name change is due to the fact that the project now hosts a bunch
> of various utilities dedicated to applications built with HiveMind,
> and is
not
> just limited to transaction management.
>
> It must be noted that this release is still working with HiveMind 1.0
only.
> It will probably be the last release to work with HM1.0, the next
> release should be a port to HM1.1 (but lately I did not have much time
> to play
with
> the latest HM1.1 beta however...)
>
> The original SourceForge announcement is at the end of this mail.
>
> Please do not hesitate to give a try to the various modules provided
> and
> comment on these.
>
> In 1-2 weeks time, I hope I will release a pre-version of HiveBoard
> (also
on
> SourceForge), a client/server shared whiteboard system based on
> HiveMind (and HiveMind Utilities of course). This could be a good way
> to get
quickly
> started with the possibilities of HiveMind Utilities modules.
>
> Cheers
>
> 	Jean-Francois Poilpret
>
> Announcement on SourceForge:
> 	The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!
>
> At the occasion of 0.4.0 release, the HiveTranse project team is glad
> to announce several modifications into the project.
>
> First, due to its wider scope, the HiveTranse project is now renamed
> "HiveMind Utilities", however the name code on SourceForge still
> remains "hivetranse".
>
> In release 0.4.0, the HiveMind Utilities project has had the following
> modifications:
> - refactoring of hivetranse.utils module into hiveutils module and
renaming
> of packages in this module (net.sourceforge.hivetranse) to
> net.sourceforge.hiveutils.
> - removal of web.utils module, which content has been moved to
> hiveutils module.
> - new features added to hiveutils module, in particular a new
ObjectBuilder
> service that can create and cache any kind of objects, and inject
> dependencies into them (can be seen as a hivemind.BuilderFactory for a
wide
> range of objects (each such object is defined in a configuration point
> in order to ease usage of this feature).
> - renaming of hivetranse.transaction module to hivetranse.core. No
> package has been renamed however.
> - creation of new hiveevents module.
> - creation of new hivegui module.
>
> To summarize, HiveMind Utilities project, as of release 0.4.0,
> contains
the

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
This was done intentionally because of licensing issues (mainly with
Hibernate, I believe).

Posted by Hugo Palma <hp...@digitalis.pt>.