Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Palmer, Eric" <ep...@richmond.edu> on 2013/11/07 15:50:08 UTC

newbie getting started with solr

Sorry if this is obvious (because it isn't for me)

I want to build a solr (4.5.1) + nutch (1.7.1) environment.  I'm doing this on amazon linux (I may put nutch on a separate server eventually).

Please let me know if my thinking is sound or off base

in the example folder are a lot of files and folders including the war file and start.jar

drwxr-xr-x   cloud-scripts
drwxr-xr-x   contexts
drwxr-xr-x   etc
drwxr-xr-x   example-DIH
drwxr-xr-x   exampledocs
drwxr-xr-x   example-schemaless
drwxr-xr-x   lib
drwxr-xr-x   logs
drwxr-xr-x   multicore
-rw-r--r--   README.txt
drwxr-xr-x   resources
drwxr-xr-x   solr
drwxr-xr-x   solr-webapp
-rw-r--r--   start.jar
drwxr-xr-x   webapps

I am creating a separate folder for the conf and data folders (on another disk) and placing these files in the conf file

schema-solr.xml (from nutch) renamed to schema.solr
solrconfig.xml

I will use the example folder and start.jar from that location. (is this okay)

Where do I set the collection name?

What else do I need to do to get a basic web page indexer built. (I'll work out the crawling later, I just want to be able to manually add some documents and query).  I'm trying to understand solr first and then will use nutch.

I have several books and have looked at the tutorial and other web sites. It seems they assume that I know where to begin when creating a new collection and customizing it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Eric Palmer
Web Services

To report technical issues, obtain technical support or make requests for enhancements please visit http://web.richmond.edu/contact/technical-support.html

Re: newbie getting started with solr

Posted by Tom Mortimer <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Solr configuration can certainly be confusing at first. And for some time
after. :P

If you're running start.jar from the example folder (which is fine for
testing, and I've known some people to use it for production systems) then
the default solr home is example/solr.  This contains solr.xml, which
specifies where to find per-core configuration and data. (A core is
equivalent to a collection in a simple non-sharded setup).

For now, the easiest thing would be to use the default core in
example/solr/collection1. Copy your solrconfig.xml and schema.xml over the
ones in collection1/conf (backing up the originals for reference). Create
your data directory wherever you like and symlink it into collection1.

Now when you run $ java -jar start.jar in example/, you should be able to
access Solr at http://localhost:8983/solr/ , and add and search for
documents.

Hope that helps a bit!

Tom

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Tried my book? It should explain that. You can see the collections with
examples in GitHub:
https://github.com/arafalov/solr-indexing-book/tree/master/published

Start from collection1.

Regards,
   Alex.
- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)