Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Albert Vila Puig <av...@imente.com> on 2003/10/24 11:03:15 UTC

Lucene delete feature

Hi all,

    I`ve got a question about the delete feature. I have a very large
collection of XML documents, each document contains a classification,
and one document can be in different classfications, there is no tree
structure in the classfications (all the classifications are in the same
level),  for example:
       Doc 1 -> classification1
       Doc 2 -> classification1 classification2 classification 3
       Doc 3 -> classification 3
       Doc 4 -> no classification

    Then, with that structure I can perform queries like 'testing &&
classification:1' or 'testing && (classification:1 ||
classification:2)', etc.

    Now,  I need the feature to remove one classification from one
document. I know I can delete de document and add it again, but I cannot
do that because I'm adding the documents sorted by date, so, if i do
that i will lose the sorting.

    Anybody has implemented a similar feature. I don't want do delete a
document, only want to upgrade a document field (just delete the
classification x from the document's classification field). Is viable to
do that?, Is it possible?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Another question about the sorting by date technique is what happen
when I merge different indexs?, for example i`ve got a large index
sorted by date (or by docID), then every day I add the new documents in
another index (by performance), and every week I merge the weekly index
with the large one. After the mergin process, I want to mantain the
documents sorted. Is lucene doing that by default?

Thanks

Albert

large index query time

Posted by Maurice Coyle <ma...@ucd.ie>.
hi,
i recently merged a whole lot of indexes into one big index for testing
purposes.  however, now the programs i use to search the index are taking
much longer.  this may be a stupid question (or very simple) and please tell
me if it is, but should this be the case?  i mean, i realise it'll take
longer to search over a larger collection, but it's taking an order of
magnitude longer.  this is the reaosn i'm asking, since if lucene is capable
of handling large-scale search apps presumably it's set up to search large
collections rapidly.

maybe there's some steps i can take to speed things up (i optimised the big
index when it was finished being created) or something i'm missing?  if i
can give any information which will help the diagnosis of this problem
please specify it.

thanks,
maurice