Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <bo...@redwerk.com> on 2006/12/06 18:16:10 UTC

Virtual file system support?

Hi there!

We are about to develop content management WEB application, and we are
wandering - is it posisble to keep JSP pages not on the filesystem, but in
database or JSR170 repository? Ideally, it would be great if Tomcat can
support something similar to a WebDAV, or soemthing like this which can just
allow us to write impelmentation for such FS - and it will work.

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky

Re: Virtual file system support?

Posted by Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <bo...@redwerk.com>.
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 02:26:20PM -0300, Aldrin Leal wrote:
> Eugeny,
>
> >We are about to develop content management WEB application, and we are
> >wandering - is it posisble to keep JSP pages not on the filesystem, but in
> >database or JSR170 repository? Ideally, it would be great if Tomcat can
> >support something similar to a WebDAV, or soemthing like this which can
> >just
> >allow us to write impelmentation for such FS - and it will work.
> >

> commons-vfs (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs) does support an
> special ClassLoader which works under the VFS Syntax (which involves a
> lot of useful protocols, including webdav in its sandbox).

Thanks!

> However, the other missing link (locating/compiling .jsp files out of
> it), I can't remember the right semantics. I'd suggest you either read
> the docs and the source of jasper compiler.

Well, I examined sources of JspServlet and found it uses classloader to obtain
page stream, so it may be possible to provide a custom classloader, which will
obtain page sources from database or whatever - that will perfectly suit my
needs, the only thing I'm not sure is: it looks like container-wide setting,
i.e it can't be applied for only one web application - but for entire Tomcat
container? Also is it possible to arrange order of classloaders for tomcat
somehow?

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@gmail.com>.
Eugeny,

> We are about to develop content management WEB application, and we are
> wandering - is it posisble to keep JSP pages not on the filesystem, but in
> database or JSR170 repository? Ideally, it would be great if Tomcat can
> support something similar to a WebDAV, or soemthing like this which can just
> allow us to write impelmentation for such FS - and it will work.

commons-vfs (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs) does support an
special ClassLoader which works under the VFS Syntax (which involves a
lot of useful protocols, including webdav in its sandbox).

However, the other missing link (locating/compiling .jsp files out of
it), I can't remember the right semantics. I'd suggest you either read
the docs and the source of jasper compiler.

--
-- Aldrin Leal, aldrinleal@gmail.com

Re: Virtual file system support?

Posted by bo...@redwerk.com.
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:05:00PM +0100, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/resources.html

Thanks a lot, looks like what I need!

Re: Virtual file system support?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We are about to develop content management WEB application, and we are
> wandering - is it posisble to keep JSP pages not on the filesystem, but in
> database or JSR170 repository? Ideally, it would be great if Tomcat can
> support something similar to a WebDAV, or soemthing like this which can just
> allow us to write impelmentation for such FS - and it will work.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/resources.html

Rémy