Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Stuart, Ed" <Ed...@austinenergy.com> on 2006/04/12 16:51:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Redirect Question

We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to
shorten the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.
We have three environments; development, test, and production. Our
approach is to create a DNS entry in the format of
environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to
environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what
application they are seeking and redirect them to
environment.webserver.domain/appname.  We've got this working with the
DNS as described and the following entry in the httpd.conf file.

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test.appname.domain
ServerAlias *
Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname
</VirtualHost>

Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter
https://test.appname.domain instead of http://test.appname.domain they
are directed to the default page of https://testweb.domain which is the
index.html file.

How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original
problem?

Thanks in advance for your help;
Ed
**Please apply a generous amount of all the usual disclaimers here.**

Re: [users@httpd] Redirect Question

Posted by Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com>.
If I'm reading this right, you could change <VirtualHost *> to <VirtualHost
*:80> and then have two separate VirtualHost containers , one listening for
http and one for https (second one being <VirtualHost *:443>), with the
exact same Redirect.  Using mod_rewrite may be a more elegant solution,
though.

-Victor

http://www.victortrac.com