Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/07/17 17:32:34 UTC

Screen widget caching

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss with you all about the idea of implementing screen
widget output caching.

Goal: minimize the db/service hits for rather static screens (for
example a category or product detail screen in the ecommerce); this
could be done by implementing screen widget output caching that prevents
the screen widget actions (and possibly ftl) from running

Draft/proposal for implementation:

a) add new attributes in the screen definition for cache settings (e.g.
cache="true|false" etc...)
b) the cache key can be derived from the screen name and the
"parameters" map (the output UtilHttp.getCombinedMap(...)) that
represents the input context for screens
c) associated to the cache key we will cache the final output of the
screen (html code or xsl-fo code...)
d) if the cache is enabled for a given screen, the input "parameters"
map is used as a key for the cache system, if no value is found, then
the screen (actions + froms + ftl templates) is run as usual and the
output is rendered and stored in the cache (with key screen name +
"parameters"); if the value is found, then the output is retrieved from
memory and sent to the user (no actions and ftl are executed)

A different option would be that of storing the output context in the
cache and serve it to the ftl (instead of storing the output html/xsl-fo).

I'd love to get your feedback about this, ideas/concerns,

Jacopo

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
In rev. 559384 I've committed the first version of my work.
I'd like to get your feedback (see the commit logs for details).

David, I've implemented it following your great suggestions (I've used
the enity cache as a reference); the first tests are good even if I have
already noticed some weird things happening only the *first* time a
screen/key is cached (but not when it is retrieved from cache) in some
complex screens (probably due to the recursive way screens are rendered).

Let me know what you all think,

Jacopo

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thanks for the clarification. I learned something today. :)

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Adrian,

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Adrian,

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David,

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David,

please see my comments inline:

David E Jones wrote:

> I think this is a great idea. As with any other caching tool it needs to
> be used properly, and based on some of the responses there seems to be
> some misunderstanding about that.
>
> Just as with entity caches this would only be helpful for high volume
> screens that are not updated frequently, and in many cases we would want
> to cache only parts of high level screens, like the product information
> on the product detail page, but not the mini cart or other sub-screens
> on the sides that are user-specific.

That is exactly what we would like to implement.

> Also when used this would be more susceptible to stale information as
> the only easy mechanism for refreshing these is a time limit. We would
> probably want to make it possible to specify the cache name to cache the
> screen in, or I guess we could just have some convention (but it would
> result in long cache names to have the location and screen name put
> together to make it unique). With this and the caching infrastructure in
> OFBiz we could have size (number of elements) limits, timeouts, soft
> references, etc to help manage the caches.

I'd like to use a complex/specialized key (a custom class with a
Comparator) composed by:
* screen name and screen location
* (a subset of) input parameters map (input context)

Then I'd like to implement some utils method that allow to clear all the
cache entries associated to a given screen name and screen location.

> If we did something like this my vote would be on caching the entire
> output of the screen. If someone wanted to speed up the data preparation
> chances are the most effective way to do it would be to use the entity
> engine caches to help with database round trip delays and such, which
> often takes up BY FAR the majority of the data preparation time.

That is a good point.
One doubt I have, if we cache html output, is how to handle links with
session id information in them (for example when cookies are
disabled)... this would make the cache useless.

> This sort of tool could be really nice but very complex if it had an
> auto-clear mechanism like that of the entity engine, but for this sort
> of things it would be REALLY hard to have some sort of change
> notification mechanism that is used for as much of what goes into screen
> contexts as possible. Anyway, my point is that it's probably not
> feasible to do this and we shouldn't worry about it initially. The tool
> would have value with proper use even without that.

Yep, initially I would prefer to skip this part and just implement
manual clearing of cache entries (by screen name) and expiring cache
based on ttl set in the screen definition.

> One thing about this, BTW: for screens that use all cached data
> retrieval it would be interesting to time the difference in execution
> because as they are now, these things run pretty fast. There would
> certainly be a difference, but I'm wondering how much of an impact it
> might have. Still, for ecommerce and content sites that are going
> through a million pages an hour, this sort of feature could be the
> difference between using OFBiz and some other technology entirely.

Yes, I would be curious to see the difference too, but I guess it is not
so easy to test.

Thanks for your valuable feedback,

Jacopo

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Or, you could take the approach that the OS is responsible for caching things on a local storage
device - then go ahead and code as if you have unlimited memory.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Screen widget caching

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.