Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Doug Dalton <do...@futurebars.com> on 2007/03/12 21:32:29 UTC

spamassassin is taking all of my memory and eventually taking all of my swap.

What am I doing wrong?

system
FreeBSD pinkslip.excompany.com 6.0-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.0-SECURITY #0: Mon Dec  4 04:43:21 UTC 2006     root@builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

SpamAssassin version 3.1.8
  running on Perl version 5.8.8

I am running spamd and spamc with sendmail 8.14 and launching spamc via a global procmailrc

Mem: 701M Active, 69M Inact, 198M Wired, 27M Cache, 111M Buf, 1656K Free
Swap: 1639M Total, 549M Used, 1090M Free, 33% Inuse, 1476K In, 1988K Out

95752 spamd           1 118    0   392M   288M RUN      3:14 62.40% perl5.8.8
95874 spamd           1 -20    0   381M   205M swread   0:19  2.83% perl5.8.8
95873 spamd           1 -20    0   380M   205M swread   0:18  2.73% perl5.8.8
96105 spamd           1 -20    0   378M   117M swread   0:00  0.15% perl5.8.8

init.pre
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash

local.cf
required_score           4.5
rewrite_header subject         *****SPAM*****
report_safe             1
use_bayes               1
bayes_ignore_header X-Bogosity
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Flag
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status
bayes_auto_learn              1
skip_rbl_checks         0

v310.pre
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SpamCop
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WhiteListSubject
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::MIMEHeader
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
#loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::FuzzyOcr

Re: spamassassin is taking all of my memory and eventually taking all of my swap.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> > You might consider adding a limit on number of child processes; start
> > with 10 and adjust up if resources remain available, down if the
> > system gets overloaded.
>
> FWIW, the default value for --max-children or -m is 5, so 10 would
> be an increase from what he's running now.

Point taken, thanks. I run on a very lightly provisioned server so I
only use one child process and haven't actually looked at that option
in forever.

  People seem to have this obsession with objects and tools as being
  dangerous in and of themselves, as though a weapon will act of its
  own accord to cause harm. A weapon is just a force multiplier. It's
  *humans* that are (or are not) dangerous.
 2 days until Albert Einstein's 128th Birthday

Re: spamassassin is taking all of my memory and eventually taking all of my swap.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Doug wrote:
>
>> TRUSTED_RULESETS="BOGUSVIRUS BLACKLIST RANDOMVAL SARE_ADULT SARE_FRAUD
>
> Try turning off the BLACKLIST ruleset - its function is much better
> served now by URIBL lookups and it is a memory hog.
>
>>  I am starting spamd -d no other arguments
>
> You might consider adding a limit on number of child processes; start
> with 10 and adjust up if resources remain available, down if the
> system gets overloaded.

FWIW, the default value for --max-children or -m is 5, so 10 would be an
increase from what he's running now.

Daryl

Re: spamassassin is taking all of my memory and eventually taking all of my swap.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Doug wrote:

> TRUSTED_RULESETS="BOGUSVIRUS BLACKLIST RANDOMVAL SARE_ADULT SARE_FRAUD

Try turning off the BLACKLIST ruleset - its function is much better
served now by URIBL lookups and it is a memory hog.

>  I am starting spamd -d no other arguments

You might consider adding a limit on number of child processes; start
with 10 and adjust up if resources remain available, down if the
system gets overloaded.

You may also want to consider upgrading to 3.1.8, as earlier versions
are subject to a denial-of-service attack.

Posted by Doug <do...@futurebars.com>.
I am running freebsd ports rulesdujour with the following rulesets

TRUSTED_RULESETS="BOGUSVIRUS BLACKLIST RANDOMVAL SARE_ADULT SARE_FRAUD
SARE_BML
SARE_RATWARE SARE_SPOOF SARE_BAYES_POISON_NXM SARE_OEM SARE_RANDOM
SARE_SPECIFIC
 EVILNUMBERS SARE_CODING SARE_HEADER SARE_SPECIFIC TRIPWIRE";

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.