Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Sergey Zolotaryov <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/27 22:16:07 UTC

tiles 2 + velocity integration

Hello.

I have created a little plugin to integrate Velocity with Tiles2. I
use it for my site with Spring MVC, but I think it might be useful for
other users even those not using Spring.

Here is the link http://anydoby.com/velocity. If you are interested it
would be an honor for me contribute to the ASF.

Re: tiles 2 + velocity integration

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
I had to moderate Sergey through the first time so he may not have
subscribed. Sergey, if you haven't been seeing the responses please
check the archives. If you're still interested in contributing please
subscribe to the dev@tiles list and let us know.

Thanks,
Greg

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/28 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> VelocityTools 2 is extremely flexible at this point.  Including a tool
>> that lives in a separate library is very easy.  Tiles could even
>> include a tools.xml in its jar with the TilesTool configuration and
>> most standard VelocityTools 2 users would automatically pick up the
>> tool if they just add the tiles jar to their app.
>
> In fact I was thinking of a separate optional JAR, just like the
> "tiles-jsp.jar". Is it possible?

yes, that would be excellent.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/28 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> VelocityTools 2 is extremely flexible at this point.  Including a tool
>> that lives in a separate library is very easy.  Tiles could even
>> include a tools.xml in its jar with the TilesTool configuration and
>> most standard VelocityTools 2 users would automatically pick up the
>> tool if they just add the tiles jar to their app.
>
> In fact I was thinking of a separate optional JAR, just like the
> "tiles-jsp.jar". Is it possible?

yes, that would be excellent.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, sorry for crossposting again :-)
>
> 2008/6/28 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> If none of this finds a home in Spring or Tiles, i would be interested
>> in bringing some of it over into VelocityTools.
>
> First of all, what is the best place for such a plugin?
> IMHO it is Tiles, since we want to treat view technologies in the same
> way (JSP, Velocity, FreeMarker are the same in front of Tiles :-D ).
> OTOH there is already a Velocity Tool for Tiles 1.
> Well, I can't decide :-)

VelocityTools 2 is extremely flexible at this point.  Including a tool
that lives in a separate library is very easy.  Tiles could even
include a tools.xml in its jar with the TilesTool configuration and
most standard VelocityTools 2 users would automatically pick up the
tool if they just add the tiles jar to their app.   I've worked hard
to make it easy for tools to live elsewhere and have no (or precious
few) ties to VelocityTools' release schedule.   That way the tools can
stay in sync with the APIs that they front.   Given that and the fact
that we're already supporting other view technologies in Tiles, i
think it would fit best here.  I will, of course, help out with that
as much as possible.

Now, i realize that Sergey's code is for VelocityTools 1.x, but i do
think we should target VelocityTools 2.  Tools 2.0-beta2 should be out
next week, and i don't intend for 2.0 GA to be far behind.   Also,

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

This is great!  A Tiles2Tool has been on my wish-i-had-the-time-todo
list ever since work on Tiles 2 began, but life is nuts, ya know?
Anyway, i just took a quick look through the code.  It looks like key
pieces are there; though it would take a little effort to adapt for
work outside of Spring (e.g. in plain VelocityTools 2).

If none of this finds a home in Spring or Tiles, i would be interested
in bringing some of it over into VelocityTools.  I've cross-posted
this message to the dev@velocity list in case anyone there is
interested.

I don't have time to look more today, but i will next week.  Expect to
hear more from me! :)

-nathan

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,