Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com> on 2009/08/30 05:58:52 UTC

Reserving a specific serialized inventory item

We have an order entry screen that allows the Sales Rep to select a specific
serial number for a serialized piece of inventory.  The reservation process
must honor this selection and reserve that piece (if possible) or produce a
reasonable error message.

Question lead in -- if the inventory item is known up-front, most of the
hub-bub around figuring out proper facilities and then applying
LIFO/FIFO/etc and going through primary/pick locations is not required.  It
appears while this is being done, "reserveForInventoryItemInline" is called
(in a loop) which updates the InventoryItem OR creates an
InventoryItemDetail and calls "reserveOrderItemInventory" which creates a
OrderItemShipGrpInvRes entity.

Question -- as part as reserving inventory is this it?  (Ignoring ECAs for
quantity thresholds and such).

If this is the case, my solution is going to be (as part of order
create/update) avoid calling the whole reserveInventory chain, and call a
new new service that simply calls reserveForInventoryItemInline (with
appropriate parms).  This would be in situations where the ShoppingCartItem
has the inventoryItemId specified.

Anyone see any flaws in this approach?  Also, has anyone else had this type
of thing to do before?  I took a brief look at the POS implementation and
this type of logic does not seem to be in place yet.  It would seem to me
that it would be important for the POS that they sell the actual product the
customer brings to the counter.  Serialized by serialNumber and
Non-Serialized by location (either directly or indirectly).

Re: Reserving a specific serialized inventory item

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Bob,

Yes please, as you initially mentioned, this would be really a plus for the POS

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Bob Morley" <rm...@emforium.com>

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.