Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Beldin <lj...@mweb.co.za> on 2012/04/25 11:53:53 UTC

Spamassassin not parsing info to exim

We are running exim-4.77 on our mx layer and SpamAssassin Server version
3.3.2
on another layer. All exim services connect to spamd on the spam layer via a
load balancer.

We started receiving the following spam message - see below and then we got
the following errors in the exim panic.log which we could directly associate
with these mails.

Apr 18 16:03:00 XXXXXX exim[85379]: 2012-04-18 16:03:00 1SKVTH-000MD5-Fy
spam
acl condition: error reading from spamd socket: Connection reset by peer
Apr 18 16:03:00 XXXXXX exim[85379]: 2012-04-18 16:03:00 1SKVTH-000MD5-Fy
spam
acl condition: error reading from spamd socket: Connection reset by peer

Exim will send the mail off to spamd(783) who will score it and add headers.
If
the score is higher than 8.2 as per Spammassassin, exim uses that response
set the following variable(acl_m_spam) to spam. Later on it the router
section
in exim we use that variable to drop/pass the mail.
Now it does add headers to the exim mail as below, but exim does not receive
score it can use and there is nothing in the spam-assassin logs to indicate
that it dealt with that mail at all. All there is, is the headers in the
mail,
the panic log entries and the mail that is now being delivered when it
should
be dropped as spam.

Apr 18 16:03:00 XXXXXX exim[85379]: 2012-04-18 16:03:00 1SKVTH-000MD5-Fy
ANTISPAM: EF=<ad...@XXXXXX.com> SF=' "*Credit-Rating-"
<ad...@XXXXX.com> ' RT=<XX...@XXXXX.co.za> SH=65.111.175.57
SPAM_SCORE=9.8
REPORT=BAYES_00=-1.9,DCC_CHECK=6,HELO_MISMATCH_COM=0.553,RCVD_IN_PSBL=2.7,RDNS_NONE=0.793,URIBL_DBL_SPAM=1.7

It would appear that the large message body size is causing Spamd to either
crash or to time-out as indicated in the panic log so that it does not parse
the complete info to exim for use. So message headers are added and received
but not the rest of the info.

MESSAGE
Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
What are your timeouts?

What are your spamd parameters?

What happens if you manually check the email from the command-line?

Have you increased your logging or do you have any spamd logging?

Regards,
KAM