Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "harish A.S." <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/08 10:41:11 UTC

STARTING MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF TOMCAT

hi,
  i have installed four instances of tomcat apart from the original one. i  want to run the instances ...in the same server from a asingle machine..
  How can i start the instances manually...or does it start automatically whhen we start the TOMCAT server.
  I am using these 4 instances for load balancing.
  I started the tomcat server ONLY AND HIT THE FOLLOWING URL
  http://localhost:8080/balancer/testLB.jsp   I encountered the following error

  type Status report
  message /balancer/testLB.jsp
  description The requested resource (/balancer/testLB.jsp) is not available.

  can you pls help me out with the solution ASAP
  thanks a lot
  regarsds
  harryy

---------------------------------

Re: STARTING MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF TOMCAT

Posted by "harish A.S." <ha...@yahoo.com>.
HI,
  THIS IS THE RULES.XML FILE...

  NOTE:
  I AM USING 4 INSTANCES..ON THE SAME SERVER ON THE SAME MACHINE....
  INSTANCE 1=LOAD BALANCER  PORT=4000 ;
  8080 IS THE DEFAULT PORT NO:OF THE MAIN APACHE TOMCATSERVER SET IN SERVER.XML
  INSTANCE 2,3,4=CLUSTERS
  RULES.XML
  <rule className="org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.RoundRobinRule"
  serverInstance="1"
  maxServerInstances="3"
  tcpListenAddress="127.0.0.1"
  tcpListenPort="4001"
  testWebPage="http://localhost:9080/clusterapp/test.jsp"
  redirectUrl="http://localhost:9080/clusterapp/sessiondata.jsp" />
   <rule className="org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.RoundRobinRule"
  serverInstance="2"
  maxServerInstances="3"
  tcpListenAddress="127.0.0.1"
  tcpListenPort="4002"
  testWebPage="http://localhost:10080/clusterapp/test.jsp"
  redirectUrl="http://localhost:10080/clusterapp/sessiondata.jsp" />
   <rule className="org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.RoundRobinRule"
  serverInstance="3"
  maxServerInstances="3"
  tcpListenAddress="127.0.0.1"
  tcpListenPort="4003"
  testWebPage="http://localhost:11080/clusterapp/test.jsp"
  redirectUrl="http://localhost:11080/clusterapp/sessiondata.jsp" />

David Delbecq <de...@oma.be> wrote:
  Please provide more informations.

1) The rule files you have configured in your balancer
2) The ports on which your various tomcat servers are running, including
the one running the balancer
3) Any output that your request could have generated in the catalina.out
of any of the running tomcat servers
4) List the webapplications running on each of the tomcat (using the
manager interface available at http://:port/manager/html)

Re: STARTING MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF TOMCAT

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

manager interface available at http://<host>:port/manager/html)