Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Fabio A. Miranda" <fa...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/09 19:47:41 UTC

Cluster setup

hello,

I am trying to setup an Hadoop cluster. From the docs, it says I need
two master: NameNode and Jobtracker and one slave: datanode,
tasktracker.

so, I need at least 4 machines to set up a cluster with hadoop ?

How can I define the role of each machine if core-site.xml needs to be
the same ?

regards,

fabio.

Re: Cluster setup

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 09/11/10 18:47, Fabio A. Miranda wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am trying to setup an Hadoop cluster. From the docs, it says I need
> two master: NameNode and Jobtracker and one slave: datanode,
> tasktracker.
>
> so, I need at least 4 machines to set up a cluster with hadoop ?
>
> How can I define the role of each machine if core-site.xml needs to be
> the same ?

You can put the JT on the same server as the namenode; this is something
doing in any "small" cluster, where small probably means less than 20 or
so servers.

I do virtual clusters, and make sure that the "master" node has a very
small datanode on it too (but no job tracker), as with that setup the
filesystem and the Job tracker can go live on a single VM -you only add
more virtual worker nodes to get more filesystem capacity and task trackers.

-steve

Re: Cluster setup

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.
You can start with one machine or one VM if you are just looking to try out hadoop.

James.

Re: Cluster setup

Posted by Aaron Eng <ae...@maprtech.com>.
Hi Fabio,

I found this site extremely helpful in explaining how to do a one node setup
for a first time user:
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Single-Node_Cluster%29

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Fabio A. Miranda <fabio.a.miranda@gmail.com

RE: Cluster setup

Posted by "Habermaas, William" <Wi...@fatwire.com>.
Visit the quickstart page and setup pseudo distributed mode on a single machine.

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/quickstart.html

Bill

RE: Cluster setup

Posted by "Fabio A. Miranda" <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

RE: Cluster setup

Posted by "Habermaas, William" <Wi...@fatwire.com>.
Fabio,

You don't need 4 machines.  You can put everything on a single machine.  That is the easiest to get started.  Once you have a cluster running on a single machine then you can spread out over multiple machines.

Best,
Bill