Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/11/19 10:32:29 UTC

Re: unresolved internal redirect bug

> I'm not sure I follow how this prevents "401 redirects" from working.  I tried
> putting in
>
>   ErrorDocument 401 http://some-other-host.com/membershipform.html

Ooops, I seem to have misinterpreted Sameer's earlier report about that.
The bug only applies to internal redirects.

> So, it does appear that the status, at least in that situation, gets promoted.
> Why wouldn't it in a mod_dir -> index.html redirect?  I don't know.  Is it a
> show-stopper?  Not if the only error is that it's returning a 200 instead of a
> 304 for mod_dir redirected pages.  In my opinion.

I agree, if that is the case -- I just want someone to tell me that it is.
I.e., someone who actually makes use of internal redirects, since I do not.

> Could you refine your "prevents 401 redirects from working", and the
> "hides bad things" too?

It hides bad things by reporting the wrong status code.

.....Roy