Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Peter H.C. Hullah" <pe...@eurocontrol.fr> on 1999/02/22 09:27:43 UTC

Re: os-windows/2726: Starting server under NT services gives "Error 0005: Access Denied"

>Fix:
Art Sackett <as...@yahoo.com> sent me the following:
- I was having the same problem running Apache 1.3.1 under Windows NT4/SP3
- as you describe in your bug report to apache.org. I found the fix in
- Usenet and posted it to the bug report database at:
-
- http://bugs.apache.org/index/full/2876
-
- It is a bug in the installer that creates a faulty entry in the
- registry. The manual fix is described in my bug report -- somehow, I
- missed your report from a few weeks earlier when I submitted mine. Oops!
-
- Hope this will help to get your installation working properly!

The text of his fix of PR2876 is as follows:

Installer is broken. Default install path contains whitespace (C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache") but the value of registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Apache\ImagePath (path to apache.exe) is not double-quoted. Fix this.

Adding another pair of quotes in the registry by hand is the workaround. To accomplish:

Start -> Run -> regedit
(drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Apache\ImagePath)
select ImagePath key, right-click -> Modify
add quotes around string in text box
click Close
exit regedit
It's M$, so reboot.

Apache now starts up at each machine boot.

--
Peter H.C. Hullah                    Technical Services
mailto:Peter.Hullah@eurocontrol.fr   EUROCONTROL Experimental Centre