Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Aharon Robbins <ar...@skeeve.com> on 2004/11/01 11:15:55 UTC

build from scratch gets wedged

Greetings all.

I have attempted to build subversion 1.0.9 from scratch.  I did the
following.

- Download latest berkeley DB, apply the two patches, build and install
  in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2.

- Extract subversion 1.0.9 tar ball.

- Applied the db42-support-patch.txt to apr-util/configure

- In the top level directory, run

	configure --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 --with-dbm=db42

- Run make.  It seems to complete ok.

- Run make install.  Ditto.

When I try to create a new repository, I get:

	$ /usr/local/bin/svnadmin create  /d/mongo/tmp/svnrepos
	svn: General filesystem error
	svn: bad database version: compiled with 4.1.25, running against 4.2.52

When I remove a few .o files and recompile, I see the
-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2./include on the command line.

I'm not exactly a clueless newbie, but as is common with the GNU Auto* tools
and libtool, the make output is so voluminous as to be impossible to use for
tracking problems.

I'm doing this on a Fedora Core 1 system.  FWIW, here is my /etc/ld.so.conf:

--------------
/usr/lib/mysql
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib
/usr/local/lib
-------------

And I've run /sbin/ldconfig.

When I run subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin directly, it works.

All advice will be appreciated.

Please reply directly to me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins
(Gawk maintainer, author of Unix In A Nutshell and other books)

Re: build from scratch gets wedged

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 06:15, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> - Download latest berkeley DB, apply the two patches, build and install
>   in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2.
>
> - Extract subversion 1.0.9 tar ball.
>
> - Applied the db42-support-patch.txt to apr-util/configure

Aharon,

I did not apply any patches to either source files for DBD or SVN.  Are
these really required?

> - In the top level directory, run
>
> 	configure --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 --with-dbm=db42
>
> When I try to create a new repository, I get:
>
> 	$ /usr/local/bin/svnadmin create  /d/mongo/tmp/svnrepos
> 	svn: General filesystem error
> 	svn: bad database version: compiled with 4.1.25, running against 4.2.52

I built 1.0.9 from scratch on FC1.  My notes are here, they are not very
complete.  In fact they are more of a "story" of how I got SVN compiled:
http://www.nesser.org/index.php?itemid=313

The well written INSTALL file recommends doing this before compiling:

   943    $ rm /usr/local/lib/libsvn*
   944
   945 If you have old subversion libraries sitting on your system,
   946 libtool will link them instead of the `fresh' ones in your tree.
   947 Remove them before building subversion.

For what it's worth, here was my configure line.  You may or may not
want the SSL support:

[nesscg@jackd subversion-1.0.9]$ ./configure --with-ssl \
 --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 > ~/subversion.conf

HTH's
Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,