Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sammaiah Nagapuri <Sa...@hcl.in> on 2009/09/17 11:46:20 UTC

only one artifact per project

Hi all,

I am not getting what it means the following statement. Is it really disadvantage from maven. Can anybody explain me with ant?

The restriction imposed by Maven is that only one artifact is generated per project (A project in Maven terminology is a folder with a project.xml file in it).

Thanks & Regards
Sammaiah Nagapuri
P  We have a responsibility to the environment
Before printing this e-mail or any other document, let's ask ourselves whether we need a hard copy

DISCLAIMER:

Re: only one artifact per project

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
The basic idea with Maven is that one Maven project produces one artifact.
An artifact could be a jar file, a war file, a zip file, or pretty much
anything. There are possibilities to force Maven to produce more than one
artifact though. Normally that's not the right road, but it's your choice.
This is different from normal usage with Ant where you often have an ant
script producing, for instance, several jar files, war file(s) and the ear
including these.
It's just a different mind set. You just have more "projects". I think it is
good, because it encourages a better design and you'll easier find circular
dependencies between jars/libraries.

/Anders

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.
This is a bit of a misunderstanding. There's no restriction in Maven that only one artifact be generated per project (also, in Maven 2, it's pom.xml, not project.xml). There must be one primary artifact, but many (if not most) Maven projects actually produce multiple artifacts. source and javadoc jars are the most common, but it is also not uncommon to see test jars (i.e. jars of test classes) and the like.

Justin