Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Dominik Borkowski <do...@vt.edu> on 2023/03/03 13:32:48 UTC

Guacamole 1.5.0 with Ubuntu 16 xrdp service

Hello,

While testing an upgrade from Guacamole 1.3.0 to 1.5.0 we ran into an issue where Guacamole can’t connect to Ubuntu 16 xrdp service. In the past these issues were related to glyph caching, and guacamole provides ability to control that for each session.

Unfortunately, using the same version of xfreerdp client as what Guacamole 1.5.0 uses reveals an issue: connection is successful only when both glyph caching is enabled, and 'relax-order-checks’ option is provided. For the foreseeable future we can’t deprecate our Ubuntu 16 targets, so the question is whether Guacamole connections can be set up with that option enabled.

Looking through the source code I see this may be mapped to ‘rdpSettings.AllowUnanouncedOrdersFromServer’, but I’m not familiar enough with the code base to see if toggling it is even a possibility.

I was wondering if anybody else has ran into a similar issue, and whether there was a feasible solution. I’m not sure if this was introduced with FreeRDP used by Guacamole 1.4.0 or 1.5.0

Cheers!
—
dom

Re: Guacamole 1.5.0 with Ubuntu 16 xrdp service

Posted by Dominik Borkowski <do...@vt.edu>.
> On Mar 3, 2023, at 5:19 PM, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Due to guidance/changes in the FreeRDP library, we have forcibly
> disabled the glyph caching (and bitmap caching) in the RDP protocol.
> The FreeRDP library specifies that these caching mechanisms are
> unreliable and will not support them. This was done as part of the
> following Jira issue:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GUACAMOLE/issues/GUACAMOLE-1191?filter=allissues
>
> If you cannot update xrdp on Ubuntu 16 to a version that will work
> properly without Glyph caching, then you may have to keep around a
> 1.3.0 version of guacd to support these systems. You can upgrade your
> main version of guacd, but keep the older version in a different
> install location, and then use the Proxy parameter (assuming you're
> using the JDBC module to store connections) to point those Ubuntu 16
> connections at the older guacd instance.
>
> Alternatively you could look at the pull requests for 1191 and reverse
> the changes and recompile the code, but you may end up with other
> challenges on other platforms where having the Glyph caching enabled
> is problematic.

Thank you. For the time being we’re going with the last solution, and patching guacd. Hopefully by the time next release rolls out we’ll be done with Ubuntu 16 targets.

Cheers!

—

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 8:33 AM Dominik Borkowski <do...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While testing an upgrade from Guacamole 1.3.0 to 1.5.0 we ran into an issue where Guacamole can’t connect to Ubuntu 16 xrdp service. In the past these issues were related to glyph caching, and guacamole provides ability to control that for each session.
>
> Unfortunately, using the same version of xfreerdp client as what Guacamole 1.5.0 uses reveals an issue: connection is successful only when both glyph caching is enabled, and 'relax-order-checks’ option is provided. For the foreseeable future we can’t deprecate our Ubuntu 16 targets, so the question is whether Guacamole connections can be set up with that option enabled.
>
> Looking through the source code I see this may be mapped to ‘rdpSettings.AllowUnanouncedOrdersFromServer’, but I’m not familiar enough with the code base to see if toggling it is even a possibility.
>
> I was wondering if anybody else has ran into a similar issue, and whether there was a feasible solution. I’m not sure if this was introduced with FreeRDP used by Guacamole 1.4.0 or 1.5.0

Due to guidance/changes in the FreeRDP library, we have forcibly
disabled the glyph caching (and bitmap caching) in the RDP protocol.
The FreeRDP library specifies that these caching mechanisms are
unreliable and will not support them. This was done as part of the
following Jira issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GUACAMOLE/issues/GUACAMOLE-1191?filter=allissues

If you cannot update xrdp on Ubuntu 16 to a version that will work
properly without Glyph caching, then you may have to keep around a
1.3.0 version of guacd to support these systems. You can upgrade your
main version of guacd, but keep the older version in a different
install location, and then use the Proxy parameter (assuming you're
using the JDBC module to store connections) to point those Ubuntu 16
connections at the older guacd instance.

Alternatively you could look at the pull requests for 1191 and reverse
the changes and recompile the code, but you may end up with other
challenges on other platforms where having the Glyph caching enabled
is problematic.

-Nick