Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Steven Choo <st...@iqnomy.com> on 2016/03/31 14:14:35 UTC

Upgrade cassandra from 2.1.9 to 3.x?

Hi,

Is it possible to update Cassandra from 2.1.9 to 3.x (e.g. 3.4) in one step?

The info about the tick-tock release schedule does not say anything
specific about it and the documentation on http://docs.datastax.com is
separated by 3.0 and 3.x.
Even though the info on
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/NEWS.txt is clear about
updating from 2.1.9 to 3.0 and does not say anything specifically about the
tick-tock versions, I want to be sure its possible due to the earlier
upgrade requirements when upgrading between minor versions.

PS. I have seen
http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40cassandra.apache.org/msg46632.html but
I`m more interested in, if its possible at all.

Best regards,

Steven Choo

La VistaDuna

Bijsterveldenlaan 5

5045 ZZ Tilburg

Netherlands

www.iqnomy.com

Tel:        013-3031160

Email:   steven@iqnomy.com <ro...@iqnomy.com>

Re: Upgrade cassandra from 2.1.9 to 3.x?

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
If there isn't anything on NEWS.txt forbidding it, then it *should* be
possible.  That is the authoritative source for upgrade information. As
noted by you, the only known restriction is that you upgrade from at least
2.1.9 as noted in the NEWS.txt entry.

But as always, and specially when doing an upgrade between major versions,
make sure to test the upgrade in a staging environment first, as well as
snapshot/backup your tables before the process.

Posted by John Wong <go...@gmail.com>.
Even if you can upgrade Cassandra straight from 1.2 to 3.X, also consider
driver compatibility.