Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bertrand Brelier <be...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/20 18:35:59 UTC

data not replicated on new node

Hello everybody,

I am using a 3-node Cassandra cluster with Cassandra 3.0.10.

I recently added a new node (to make it a 3-node cluster).

I am using a replication factor of 3 , so I expected to have a copy of
the same data on each node :

CREATE KEYSPACE mydata WITH replication = {'class': 'SimpleStrategy',
'replication_factor': '3'}  AND durable_writes = true;

But the new node has  less data that the other 2 :

Datacenter: datacenter1
=======================
Status=Up/Down
|/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
--  Address       Load       Tokens       Owns (effective)  Host
ID                               Rack
UN  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX  53.28 GB   256          100.0% xxxxxx  rack1
UN  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX  64.7 GB    256          100.0% xxxxxx  rack1
UN  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX  1.28 GB    256          100.0% xxxxxx  rack1

On the new node :

/XXXXXX/data-6d674a40efab11e5b67e6d75503d5d02/:
total 1.2G

on one of the old nodes :

/XXXXXX/data-6d674a40efab11e5b67e6d75503d5d02/:
total 52G

I am monitoring the amount of data on each node, and they grow at the
same rate. So I suspect that my new data are replicated on the 3 nodes
but the old data stored on the first 2 nodes are not replicated on the
new node.

I ran nodetool repair (on each node, one at a time), but the new node
still does not have a copy of the old data.

Could you please help me understand why the old data is not replicated
to the new node ? Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Bertrand

Re: data not replicated on new node

Posted by Malte Pickhan <ma...@zalando.de>.
Not sure if it's really related, but we experienced something similar last
friday. I summarized it in the following Issue:

Best,

Malte

Posted by Malte Pickhan <ma...@zalando.de>.

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Brelier <be...@gmail.com>.
Hello Shalom.

No I really went from 3.1.1 to 3.0.9 .

Cheers.

Bertrand

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Brelier <be...@gmail.com>.
Hello Shalom, Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Yudovin <vl...@winguzone.com>.
&gt;try SELECT for some undoubtedly old data with consistency ALL

It's worth to turn trace on for this query.

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra
Launch your cluster in minutes.

---- On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 02:05:35 -0500Vladimir Yudovin &lt;vladyu@winguzone.com&gt; wrote ----

&gt;can the node "talk" with the others? (i.e. telnet to the other nodes on port 7000).

According to nodetool status all nodes are joined and UP, so they seems to be able talk one with other (though there still can be connectivity issues). Are all nodes on internal network (e.g. 10.x.x.x) in the same locations?

&gt;I suspect that ... the old data stored on the first 2 nodes are not replicated on the new node.

Can you try SELECT for some undoubtedly old data with consistency ALL (just one raw is enough)?

Also the whole event sequence are not clear: you had two nodes with data, then added third. When did you change replication factor for existing keyspace? Or it was created with factor three?

---- On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 01:28:54 -0500Shalom Sagges &lt;shaloms@liveperson.com&gt; wrote ----

Posted by Vladimir Yudovin <vl...@winguzone.com>.

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Brelier <be...@gmail.com>.