Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com> on 2008/12/18 07:35:37 UTC

OSGi Bundle Repository support for Archiva

Hey guys,
I started some work on building an OBR repository consumer that will
produce a repository.xml file in the root of the managed repositories.

For those who don't know OBR is the OSGi Bundle Repository [1]. The
repository.xml (or .zip) describes the bundles, their locations and
versions that are available in the repository (or a remote one for that
matter).

OSGi bundles deployed using Maven to Archiva (or simply placed in the
repository) should then be made almost immediately available via OBR
clients.

Anyway, this should give us the basis for excellent support in Archiva
OSGi. Atlassian plan to use Archiva as the platform for serving plugins
and their dependent OSGi bundles - which is really cool :)

Anyone have any thoughts, questions?

Cheers,
James

[1]
http://www.osgi.org/Download/File?url=/download/rfc-0112_BundleRepository.pdf

Re: OSGi Bundle Repository support for Archiva

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Emmanuel

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:35 PM, James William Dumay
<ja...@atlassian.com> wrote:

> I started some work on building an OBR repository consumer that will produce
> a repository.xml file in the root of the managed repositories.

Nice!  I can check that off my list from SpringOne then. ;) 'Archiva
as an OSGi bundle repository?'

Have you seen the SpringSource bundle repo?
http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/

--
Wendy

Re: OSGi Bundle Repository support for Archiva

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> wrote:

> Very cool stuff James! :-)

Indeed! :-)

I'll definitely take this for a spin when I get a chance to get back to
code.

> Do you know how (if?) OBR and Eclipse P2 overlap any?

I'm interested in P2 also. My understanding (admittedly still somewhat fuzzy
at this point) is that there is a fair bit of overlap, and that P2 goes
further than OBR in many respects but also lacks some pieces such as repo
federation.

It will be interesting to see where we can take this.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Very cool stuff James! :-)

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Waouh, great :-))

Looking forward to having time to test this.

- Fabrice
 bellingard@apache.org

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
Hey Felix,
On 18/12/2008, at 6:17 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Since sitting here and being a member of the Felix team I could of
> course not resist to forward this great news to our developers list !

Rocking :)

> Thanks alot for tackling with this. Its great to see that there is
> something going on in this direction outside of Felix.
>
> If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. We would certainly be
> more
> than willing to help.

Awesome! Checking out the branch, testing it and providing feedback
would help alot - diving into the code and improving it is also very
welcome :)

Cheers,
James

Re: OSGi Bundle Repository support for Archiva

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Brett Porter schrieb:
> Nice :)

+1

> You might want to ping the Felix team as they were looking to set one up
> at Apache. Depending on what they need, we can host it on an existing
> instance or help them set one up.

Since sitting here and being a member of the Felix team I could of
course not resist to forward this great news to our developers list !

Thanks alot for tackling with this. Its great to see that there is
something going on in this direction outside of Felix.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. We would certainly be more
than willing to help.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.