Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it> on 2003/05/12 19:02:45 UTC

[Ann] Geoid: connect Cocoon with geographic information

The Geoid team is pleased to announce our fist release (0.1.0).

The goal of the Geoid project is the building of connectors
(generators, transformers, actions, etc.) between Apache Cocoon
and various geographic information services (be they proprietary
or open-source).

Currently only one connector is provided, connecting Cocoon to
a proprietary (and not exactly cheap) web-mapping package called
ArcIMS ( http://www.esri.com/arcims ).

It is not much, we know, but we are determined to soon provide Geoid
connectors to the Minnesota University's MapServer and other open-source
services.

Geoid is kindly hosted at CocoonDev.org:
http://www.cocoondev.org/projects/geoid.html

Regards,

The Geoid team.

P.S.
On a personal note, let me remind you that, on my 30 Jan 2003 posting (
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104391956214816&w=2 ),
I promised to deliver a few things... and the release of Geoid completes
this delivery :)

                Luca Morandini
                GIS Consultant
               lmorandini@ieee.org
http://space.virgilio.it/kumora/index.html

Re: [Ann] Geoid: connect Cocoon with geographic information

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Harald Wehr wrote:
> Do you have any plans how to implement the connection to Minnesota
> Mapserver? We have developed a connection to the cgi script in our
> application based on xml. A generator takes the requests from the
> clients and sets the desired cgi parameters via httpunit. With a small
> modification we get xml back from cgi script and generate the output.

Yes, I was personally thinking along these lines, something really
simple to begin with.
BTW, If you whish to join the effort, fell free to do it: something
useful to both parties could come out of it.

> Additionally we tried to use the java mapscript feature of mapserver. As
> there were threading problems the jvm often died so we moved to httpunit
> and normal http connection.

Hmmm... I cannot elaborate, since I have yet to study MapServer in detail.

Speaking in general what I'd really like to do is to use MapServer as a
WFS server, outputting SLD-styled vectors in SVG using Cocoon... but
this will be the 3rd step: release early, release often ;)

Posted by Harald Wehr <hw...@hs-harz.de>.
Hi,

  > It is not much, we know, but we are determined to soon provide Geoid
> connectors to the Minnesota University's MapServer and other open-source
> services.

Do you have any plans how to implement the connection to Minnesota
Mapserver? We have developed a connection to the cgi script in our
application based on xml. A generator takes the requests from the
clients and sets the desired cgi parameters via httpunit. With a small
modification we get xml back from cgi script and generate the output.

Additionally we tried to use the java mapscript feature of mapserver. As
there were threading problems the jvm often died so we moved to httpunit
and normal http connection.

Harald

Re: [Ann] Geoid: connect Cocoon with geographic information

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com>.
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Luca Morandini wrote:

> The goal of the Geoid project is the building of connectors
> (generators, transformers, actions, etc.) between Apache Cocoon
> and various geographic information services (be they proprietary
> or open-source).

Well, too bad I'm not at my old job anymore, we would have jumped all over
this really quick.  I'm not there anymore but I'm forwarding this to
people at the U of MN who may be interested in it (Not the Mapserver ppl).

Tony

--
Tony Collen
ICQ: 12410567