Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas Zastrow <li...@thomas-zastrow.de> on 2007/03/07 20:14:15 UTC

My little FOP-project

Hello all,

to get a little bit in touch with FOP, I started a project for
formatting scientific texts with FO. It's just something like a "proof
of concept" and there is still a lot of work to do.

Please feel free to send me critics, ideas or whatever.

Here you can find it:

http://www.thomas-zastrow.de/st/

Take a look at the manual-PDF-file for what the script can do - and what
not ;-)

Best,

Tom

Re: My little FOP-project

Posted by Thomas Zastrow <li...@thomas-zastrow.de>.
Hello Andreas,

Andreas L Delmelle schrieb:
> On Mar 7, 2007, at 20:14, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> to get a little bit in touch with FOP, I started a project for
>> formatting scientific texts with FO. It's just something like a
>> "proof of concept" and there is still a lot of work to do.
>>
>> Please feel free to send me critics, ideas or whatever.
>
> Interesting. Your manual itself is a nice showcase. :-)

Thank you, I hope that my rudimentary english is understandable ...

> Considering the TODO about color-schema, maybe the cleanest solution
> would be to use a generic <color> element, to which the authors can
> then add an attribute, like:
>
> <color color-value="red">Red Text</color>
>
> This can then be transformed with
>
> <xsl:template match="color[@color-value]">
>   <fo:wrapper color="{@color-value}">
>     <xsl:apply-templates />
>   </fo:wrapper>
> </xsl:template>
>
> Note that this means that authors would also be able to specify a
> color using the rgb() function, which would be passed to and resolved
> by FOP. For example: <color color-value="rgb(255, 0, 0)">Red Text</color>
>
> FOP will warn if an invalid color-specification is used, but the
> processing will continue and the inherited color will be used, so it
> does little harm to leave that up to the eventual users of your
> stylesheet.

This is a great suggestion! Thank you, I'll do it that way!

Best,

Tom

Re: My little FOP-project

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 7, 2007, at 20:14, Thomas Zastrow wrote:

Hi,

> to get a little bit in touch with FOP, I started a project for
> formatting scientific texts with FO. It's just something like a
> "proof of concept" and there is still a lot of work to do.
>
> Please feel free to send me critics, ideas or whatever.

Interesting. Your manual itself is a nice showcase. :-)

Considering the TODO about color-schema, maybe the cleanest solution
would be to use a generic <color> element, to which the authors can
then add an attribute, like:

<color color-value="red">Red Text</color>

This can then be transformed with

<xsl:template match="color[@color-value]">
   <fo:wrapper color="{@color-value}">
     <xsl:apply-templates />
   </fo:wrapper>
</xsl:template>

Note that this means that authors would also be able to specify a
color using the rgb() function, which would be passed to and resolved
by FOP. For example: <color color-value="rgb(255, 0, 0)">Red Text</
color>

FOP will warn if an invalid color-specification is used, but the
processing will continue and the inherited color will be used, so it
does little harm to leave that up to the eventual users of your
stylesheet.

Cheers,

Andreas