Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Mathieu Frenette <ma...@freeborders.com> on 2002/04/11 14:00:39 UTC

TDK with Maven?

Hi all,

We are presently considering moving our Struts/jsp codebase to
Turbine/Velocity (in fact, I am making the pressure on my manager! ;-)  So
I'm currently looking into the TDK (2.1 and 2.2b1) but I was a little
disappointed to realize that it was not using Maven.  Is that right?  If so,
is the integration planned for anytime soon?  Otherwise, should I rather go
with plain Turbine instead of the TDK?

TIA

-- Mathieu

Re: TDK with Maven?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net> writes:

> On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 06:00  AM, Mathieu Frenette wrote:
>
>> We are presently considering moving our Struts/jsp codebase to
>> Turbine/Velocity (in fact, I am making the pressure on my manager!
>> ;-)  So
>> I'm currently looking into the TDK (2.1 and 2.2b1) but I was a little
>> disappointed to realize that it was not using Maven.  Is that right?
>> If so,
>> is the integration planned for anytime soon?  Otherwise, should I
>> rather go
>> with plain Turbine instead of the TDK?
>
> One of the goals for Maven is to get the TDK build mavenized.  But the
> TDK has a pretty complex build process.  At the moment only two
> developers are trusted with the creation of the TDK.  I suspect it
> will be a little while before TDK is building with Maven.
> Nevertheless, the TDK is still the best way to get started with
> Turbine.

Mathieu, what Eric says is true.  However, from what I've seen so far,
_you_ would have a good chance at getting Turbine going without the
TDK.  Note that this requires a fairly significant initial time
investment, but for medium to large applications pays off.

Re: TDK with Maven?

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 06:00  AM, Mathieu Frenette wrote:

> We are presently considering moving our Struts/jsp codebase to
> Turbine/Velocity (in fact, I am making the pressure on my manager! ;-)
> So
> I'm currently looking into the TDK (2.1 and 2.2b1) but I was a little
> disappointed to realize that it was not using Maven.  Is that right?
> If so,
> is the integration planned for anytime soon?  Otherwise, should I
> rather go
> with plain Turbine instead of the TDK?

One of the goals for Maven is to get the TDK build mavenized.  But the
TDK has a pretty complex build process.  At the moment only two
developers are trusted with the creation of the TDK.  I suspect it will
be a little while before TDK is building with Maven.  Nevertheless, the
TDK is still the best way to get started with Turbine.

Hope that helps.
-Eric