Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> on 2003/01/03 19:15:14 UTC

Ant Core Task Quick Reference

I compiled a simple Ant quick reference from the existing Ant documentation.
I kept on forgetting attribute names, etc...

http://www.discursive.com/articles/2003/01/ant_core_ref.html

There are probably typos, and problems.  If anyone has any suggestions
please send them my way.  I figure that one could probably trim this down to
4 pages by removing some of the less-used tasks and consolidating some of
the repeated task examples.

It would be interesting for someone to do a frequeny analysis of Ant tasks.
Which tasks get used the most, etc?

Since the work is a copy of existing doc I gave credit to all Ant doc
writers at the end.

--------
Tim O'Brien
Transolutions, Inc.
W 847-574-2143
M 847-863-7045

Re: Ant Core Task Quick Reference

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 11:38  PM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure how it will play out.... but probably just recursively
document them with the stop logic being when it hits a datatype, since
these will be generated separately.

So as far as what we put on Javadoc comments and @tags, it would be the
same as top-level task elements.

I've just now gotten it working again with XDoclet 1.2 and committed my
stuff to XDoclet's CVS last night, the first version of it.  I plan on
making an Ant task wrapper similar to things like <ejbdoclet> and
<webdoclet> and let it contain the <taskdescriptor> and
<taskproperties> subtasks (names subject to change, of course.

	Erik

Re: Ant Core Task Quick Reference

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Posted by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>.
Appendix E is a good reference, but the compiled examples reference fills a
different need.  In other words, it is valuable to have some sort of 20-25
page, autogenerated from xdoclet guide to tasks, but it would also be
valuable to have a more compact reference.   I think Ant could get down to
two double-sided 3-column 8.5" x 11".

This was inspired by refcards.com's Apache directive reference, and Mulberry
Technologies, XML reference cards.  When space is a premium, you start
getting into tweaks and formatting to ensure that space is conserved and
that page boundaries don't bissect some example.  I think that things like
this will continue to be done by hand in some word processor, page layout
program.  In other words, when space is a premium, you move to custom layout
- ideally this would be stored in something like SVG.

--------
Tim O'Brien
W 847-574-2143
M 847-863-7045

Posted by Stefan Moebius <st...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Bill Winspur <bw...@wynnon.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Kenneth Lee wrote:
> Thank you. I was once thinking about doing something similar.
> But then I realize that keeping another set of documentation is likely
> to have it not-synced with the rapidly changing core manual.

[...]