Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net> on 2001/07/11 18:00:15 UTC

Standard JSP Tag Library (JSPTL): Early Access

Taglibs and Struts users,

Hi there.  As some of you might have heard, the JSR-052 group, operating
under the Java Community Process, has been engaged in an effort to develop
a standard JSP Tag Library (JSPTL).  Our work has drawn from the
experience of groups like Struts and Jakarta-Taglibs, and continuing
feedback and opinions from these groups will be extremely valuable as we
progress toward a final standard.

The JSPTL specification is not yet finished, but the group has opted to
use an Early Access (EA) program to get our work out to the community as
quickly as possible.  We have a reference implementation (RI) that
implements the core functionality we've discussed so far:  iteration,
conditional logic, and a framework in support of "expression languages" to
help reduce (or eliminate!) the need for Java scripting logic inside JSP
pages.

The first Early Access release of JSPTL went public today on the
Jakarta-Taglibs site.  For more information, go to

   http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/jsptl-doc/intro.html

from which you can browse the current JSPTL documentation and download the
source for the RI.  As part of the distribution, we provide an 'examples'
application that demonstrates how the current version of JSPTL tags can be
used.

For comments on JSPTL-related issues, you can use the Jakarta-Taglibs
lists (taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org and taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org)
as appropriate.  If, for any reason, you wish to contact the JSR-052 group
privately, you can mail jsr052-comments@sun.com.

Again, all comments -- particularly from Taglibs and Struts users! -- will
be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks,

Shawn Bayern
(JSPTL reference-implementation lead)

[ PS - Apologies for the crosspost, but I think there are a lot of
  people who aren't part of the intersection of these two groups. ]

RE: Session Form Reset?

Posted by DHarty <ha...@db.erau.edu>.
Gregor, you bring up an interesting point.

I have a form that has a boolean "grant" property that is selected by a
checkbox.  After the origional form is submitted, a second page uses that
form for verification purposes.

The problem is that if "grant" is true, and then the user decides to revoke
grant, he can uncheck the box.  However, as we all know, struts cannot see
this unchecking.

If I allow the box to be reset in the reset method, the grant property also
gets reset by the time it makes it to the verification page, and thus
becomes impossible to actually "grant" anything.  If I remove the reset
functionality, it become impossible to revoke the "grant".

I could create a second boolean property (grantCheckBox) that could be used
by the page to set the grant variable before it itself is reset, but how
would I get the checkbox to set itself when the page is initially viewed if
the origional grant property is true?

I would like to do something like...

public reset(...)
{
	grant = grantCheckBox;
	grantCheckBox=false;
}

then in my page:

but I know that there are several problems with this such as value="grant"
isn't supposed to be used to set the initial value.

I hope this discussion isn't to convoluted, but it seems any solution on one
hand just causes a problem on the other.

Thanks

Posted by Gregor Rayman <gr...@gmx.net>.

--
gR