Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sarit Weber <SA...@il.ibm.com> on 2016/07/17 14:13:40 UTC

Solr Cloud - how to implement local indexing without SSL and distributed search with SSL

Hi all,

We are currently using Solr 6.0.0, with Solr Cloud and SSL
where:
1. Collections are defined with router.name=implicit
2. Collections are built of shard per machine
3. Data from a specific machine is indexed on that shard and documents
always keep on coming.
4. Search is distributed - from each machine we want to search for data on
the entire collection - using the Solr Cloud API.

We noticed that indexing is much faster without SSL, but we can not remove
it from distributed search.

Because we force the index to be local (each machine index its own data)
-
We were wondering if there is an option to remove SSL from indexing and
keep using it for Searching.
The solution will have to require the indexing to be done locally, not
calling the remote zookeeper.

Is there any way to achieve this with Solr Cloud?

Thanks,
Sarit Weber

Re: Solr Cloud - how to implement local indexing without SSL and distributed search with SSL

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/17/2016 8:13 AM, Sarit Weber wrote:
> We noticed that indexing is much faster without SSL, but we can not
> remove it from distributed search.

Solr doesn't handle the networking.  That's Jetty.  Jetty sets up one
listening port, and that port either uses SSL or it doesn't.  All
requests for Solr are handled by that network setup, which is out of
Solr's control.

To use SSL for one part of the app but not for another part would
require that somebody split Solr into *two* applications, and have jetty
handle each application with a different TCP port.  Then the two
applications would need a way to talk to each other.  I can almost
guarantee that the Solr developers are not going to implement that.

You might want to remove SSL from Solr and have your query clients
access it via a proxy/loadbalancer that handles the SSL.  Because you're
looking for this kind of solution, I imagine that the clients that will
be indexing are very different clients than the ones that are doing the
queries, and that maybe the clients doing the queries are in a network
that you do not trust.

One final word -- Solr should not be accessible from any network
location that you cannot completely trust, especially the Internet.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr Cloud - how to implement local indexing without SSL and distributed search with SSL

Posted by Sarit Weber <SA...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi again,

Do you think it's possible to do that with server that will be dedicate to
indexing and server that will be dedicate to search but will work on the
same collections?

Thanks,
Sarit Weber
Guardium Software Developer