Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Kishore AVK. Veleti" <Ki...@coreobjects.com> on 2007/11/06 20:01:05 UTC

How to do GeoSpatial search in SOLR/Lucene

Hi All,

How to do Geo Spatial search in SOLR/Lucene?

Thanks,
Kishore Veleti

Re: How to do GeoSpatial search in SOLR/Lucene

Posted by patrick o'leary <po...@aol.com>.
There is an SF project (locallucene) with geographical searching in
progress. (As in if it works for you and meets your needs
then please help yourself, if it doesn't and requires additional work,
then please help us) ;-)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/locallucene/

A basic solr port & demo, which is out of date, but still gives an idea
of capabilities is available with some details
http://www.nsshutdown.com/blog/index.php?itemid=87 (download is called
solr-example.tgz)

A good few folks are using locallucene and seem happy, we're still
working on the localsolr port, and a few
folks in the solr community are really helping out a lot!

Once we feel we're in much firmer release position then we'll contribute
back to the ASF, but for now we're on SF.
A few things we're working on are improving filter caching (geo
boundaries caching) and looking at limitations
of geographical searching.
e.g. You can only process so many unique lats/longs on one box. But
we're working on it.

Hope that helps
Patrick

--

Patrick O'Leary

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.
 Do you understand this?
And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.
  - Albert Einstein

View Patrick O Leary's LinkedIn profileView Patrick O Leary's profile
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/pjaol>

Re: How to do GeoSpatial search in SOLR/Lucene