Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Margaret Crozier <jo...@telus.net> on 2012/07/26 21:47:15 UTC

Opening .swd files

Hello,

For most of my computer life :) I was able to open the .swd files
created on my first computer.  I have been using OO ever since I
upgraded and was able to open those files for a long time.

However, I am now stumped and frustrated because I have so many files
with that extension but not able to access them.

Can you please help me solve this dilemma?

Thank you.

Margaret

Re: Opening .swd files

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Margaret,

Margaret Crozier schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> For most of my computer life :) I was able to open the .swd files
> created on my first computer.  I have been using OO ever since I
> upgraded and was able to open those files for a long time.
>
> However, I am now stumped and frustrated because I have so many files
> with that extension but not able to access them.
>
> Can you please help me solve this dilemma?

a better place for such questions is the mailing list
ooo-users@incubator.apache.org or a forum.

You likely need to install the filter.

Do you have got a PC with a Windows operating system? If yes, then goto
Start > Control Panel > Software. Click on "OpenOffice.org 3.4" and
there on "Modify". Follow the wizard to "Modify". In the tree on the
left side open "Optional Components" and click next to "Legacy Filters".
Chose the option "This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed
to local hard drive". Then follow the wizard to the end.

Apache OpenOffice has a converter for such documents, which allows to
convert them all at once to a modern format. Start Apache OpenOffice and
then use File > Wizards > Document Converter.

Kind regards
Regina