Posted to user@beam.apache.org by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/18 14:34:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop support for Flink 1.7

Hi folks,

Apache Flink 1.10 has completed the release announcement [1]. Then we would
like to add Flink 1.10 build target and make Flink Runner compatible with
Flink 1.10 [2]. So, I would suggest that at most three versions of Flink
runner for Apache Beam community according to the update Policy of Apache
Flink releases [3] , i.e. I think it's better to maintain the three
versions of 1.8/1.9/1.10 after add Flink 1.10 build target to Flink runner.

The current existence of Flink runner 1.7 will affect the upgrade of Flink
runner 1.8x and 1.9x due to the code of Flink 1.7 is too old, more detail
can be found in [4]. So,  we need to drop the support of Flink runner 1.7
as soon as possible.

This discussion also CC to @User, due to the change will affect our users.
And I would appreciate it if you could review the PR [5].

Welcome any feedback!

Best,
Jincheng

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Apache-Flink-1-10-0-released-td37564.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9295
[3] https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html#update-policy-for-old-releases
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9299

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop support for Flink 1.7

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
This is now done. We added first Flink 1.10 and then removed 1.7
support. This will be reflected in Beam 2.21.0.

Thanks Jincheng for your initiative. It was a pleasure working with you
on the PRs.

Cheers,
Max

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com> 于2020年2月24日周一 上午11:22写道:

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Morávek <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
+1 Forgot to mention I am also pro removal of 1.7 support, but let's wait a
bit to see if someone differs.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by je...@seznam.cz.

td37564.html](http://apache-flink-mailing-list-

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
Just to be sure, you mean Flink 1.11.0-SNAPSHOT ONLY in the next branch
dependency?
We shou,d not have any SNAPSHOT dependency from other projects in Beam.

Dne 18. 2. 2020 15:34 napsal uživatel jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>:

> Hi folks,
>
> Apache Flink 1.10 has completed the release announcement [1]. Then we would
like to add Flink 1.10 build target and make Flink Runner compatible with
Flink 1.10 [2]. So, I would suggest that at most three versions of Flink
runner for Apache Beam community according to the update Policy of Apache
Flink releases [3] , i.e. I think it's better to maintain the three versions
of 1.8/1.9/1.10 after add Flink 1.10 build target to Flink runner.

> The current existence of Flink runner 1.7 will affect the upgrade of Flink
runner 1.8x and 1.9x due to the code of Flink 1.7 is too old, more detail can
be found in [4]. So,  we need to drop the support of Flink runner 1.7 as soon
as possible.

> Welcome any feedback!
>
> Best,
> Jincheng

archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Apache-Flink-1-10-0-released-
td37564.html>
> [2] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9295>
> [3] <https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html#update-policy-for-old-releases>
> [4] [https://issues.apache.org/jira/`KБPSKNLNO OWHH YH ΋] XK\XKؙX[K