Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2005/05/03 16:36:19 UTC

question about attribution

Hi,

I have a question concerning the attribution clause in version 2.0 of
the Apache License (or the lack thereof).

Am I correct when understanding that the explicit attribution clause of
1.1:

  * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
  *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
  *       "This product includes software developed by the
  *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
  *    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software
itself,
  *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

has become superseded in 2.0 in a way that this acknowledgement should
now appear in the NOTICE file, which should be included in a
redistribution of an AL-2.0-licensed work?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: question about attribution

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.
Actually, as I read it the form of the notice is no longer specified.

What 2.0 does is make it explicit that you can't remove existing notices.
So, if an Apache project included a NOTICES file and included something
like the 1.1 notice in it, then subsequent users would have to carry that
forward.
Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/

Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>
05/03/2005 10:36 AM

legal-discuss@apache.org