Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/11/20 04:57:47 UTC

Re: Knox with Ping

Hey Benoy,
Glad you have some time to get this going.  Lets continue this
conversation on dev@knox.  I'm guessing you are asking about which
module this should go in.  My thinking is that this would go in a
separate module probably called gateway-provider-security-ping or
something similar.  If after some quick discussion that is the right
answer I'd be happy to create a skeleton for you.  We should start
though with getting an understanding of how to approach the Ping
integration.  To start with I have questions like:
1) What will be added to the REST request when Ping is being used?
2) How will that be validated?  Callback to ping? Cryptographically?
3) How do you see group membership being obtained when Ping is used for SSO?
4) Other things that I hope Larry will be able to think of...
Kevin.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Knox with Ping

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes, a SAML bearer token would work just fine.
Ping Federate has a number of these options.
The STS service may also be something to consider.
We can exchange one token type for another potentially a format that we can
make the Knox or Hadoop SSO token.
Let's investigate the options - especially those recommended by Ping for
REST - although OAuth is probably not what we want here.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Dilli Arumugam
<da...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hi Benoy,
>
> I believe Ping would provide many ways of integration.
> Would be interested to know the options you considered.
>
> I believe Ping would support SAML artififact profile.
> Did you consider integrating with that?
> Would such an integrationbe more useful in that it can work across
> multiple SAML identity providers?
>
> .
> Thanks
> Dilli
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:00 AM, larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Benoy -
>>
>> That seems like a reasonable approach forward.
>> I'm not sure that we will be able to directly use a cookie intended for a
>> specific server.
>>
>> There is an approach used by a number of SSO solutions in which a custom
>> header is created that contains the user identity and propagated to the
>> REST endpoints like this. We could sign or encrypt the header in order to
>> ensure that it is from a trusted application.
>>
>> I believe that this is the approach used in scenarios like SiteMinder
>> integration and others.
>>
>> While it is true that we really can't depend on a solution that requires
>> a user to satisfy a challenge based on a browser redirect to a login page,
>> it is probably not completely accurate to assume that we don't have REST
>> clients running in a browser. The use of something like XMLHttpRequest may
>> have to be used to set the custom header from javascript. Of course, server
>> side integration would also be possible with this sort of approach.
>>
>> We will just need a way to ensure that we can set identity token - either
>> custom HTTP header or Bearer Token type thing.
>> Whatever we do - needs to also be able to be done from curl.
>>
>> You probably want to determine what Ping's recommended approach to such
>> things is though.
>>
>> Feel free to ping me with any questions!
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> --larry
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Benoy Antony <ba...@ebaysf.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks guys.

>>> So far we used Ping to authenticate browser based access. In this case,
>>> Ping drops a cookie which contains the user's authentication information.
>>> In our case, we have the group information on the servers using ldap.
>>>
>>> The Authentication works via browsers redirects and information is
>>> shared using cookies.
>>>
>>> The information in cookie is encrypted using a secret shared between
>>> Ping and servers.
>>>
>>> I am trying to get more details on how to use Ping in non-browser
>>> usecase.  I am assuming , the knox usage is primary non-browser based.
>>>
>>> Once I get these details and based on inputs from you, I'll add a the
>>> design proposal to the jira.
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>> benoy

Re: Knox with Ping

Posted by Dilli Arumugam <da...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Benoy,

> [...]

>> > 2) How will that be validated?  Callback to ping? Cryptographically?
>> > 3) How do you see group membership being obtained when Ping is used for
>> > SSO?
>>
>> So far we used Ping to authenticate browser based access. In this case,
>> Ping drops a cookie which contains the user's authentication information.
>> In our case, we have the group information on the servers using ldap.
>>
>> The Authentication works via browsers redirects and information is shared
>> using cookies.
>>
>> The information in cookie is encrypted using a secret shared between Ping
>> and servers.
>>
>> I am trying to get more details on how to use Ping in non-browser
>> usecase.  I am assuming , the knox usage is primary non-browser based.
>>
>> Once I get these details and based on inputs from you, I'll add a the

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Knox with Ping

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benoy -

RE: Knox with Ping

Posted by Benoy Antony <ba...@ebaysf.com>.
Thanks guys.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:

> Hey Benoy,
> Glad you have some time to get this going.  Lets continue this
> conversation on dev@knox.  I'm guessing you are asking about which module
> this should go in.  My thinking is that this would go in a separate module
> probably called gateway-provider-security-ping or something similar.  If
> after some quick discussion that is the right answer I'd be happy to create
> a skeleton for you.  We should start though with getting an understanding
> of how to approach the Ping integration.  To start with I have questions
> like:
> 1) What will be added to the REST request when Ping is being used?
> 2) How will that be validated?  Callback to ping? Cryptographically?
> 3) How do you see group membership being obtained when Ping is used for
> SSO?
> 4) Other things that I hope Larry will be able to think of...
> Kevin.
>

> On 11/19/13 10:49 PM, Benoy Antony wrote:
>
>> Larry, Kevin,
>>
>> hope you are keeping fine.
>> If its appropriate, I can take up https://issues.apache.org/
>> jira/browse/KNOX-192 as I have some bandwidth now.
>>
>> I have the new master version of knox and have the eclipse workspace
>> based on it. If I can take up this task, could you please let me know which
>> project should have this integration code ?
>>
>> thanks ,
>> Benoy
>>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Knox with Ping

Posted by Dilli Arumugam <da...@hortonworks.com>.
Welcome Benoy.
> [...]

> > 3) How do you see group membership being obtained when Ping is used for
> > SSO?
> > 4) Other things that I hope Larry will be able to think of...
> > Kevin.
> >

> > On 11/19/13 10:49 PM, Benoy Antony wrote:
> >
> >> Larry, Kevin,
> >>
> >> hope you are keeping fine.
> >> If its appropriate, I can take up https://issues.apache.org/
> >> jira/browse/KNOX-192 as I have some bandwidth now.
> >>
> >> I have the new master version of knox and have the eclipse workspace
> >> based on it. If I can take up this task, could you please let me know
> which
> >> project should have this integration code ?
> >>
> >> thanks ,
> >> Benoy
> >>

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> > to which it is addressed and may contain information that is

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Knox with Ping

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benoy -