Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com> on 2012/04/03 02:59:13 UTC

Fail to input character other than English

Hi,

I tried your demo for TextInput as well as my desktop program of pivot.  All
fail to accept my input if I change the input method to say Chinese.

I use Mac Lion os and java 6.27.

Do I miss any silly?

This is now an urgent issue to my program demo. Please help!

Brendan

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/file/n3891934/inputProblem.png
Ah Ok now I understand ... and well done on related issue, sorry.

> I didn't make myself clearly. I amable to show chinese character in Pivot as
> you see my screenshot. But look at the character show in the textInput box
> which is suppose to show chinese character I pick from the input method bar.
> This is how chinese enter into an application, which is after key in a
> character then pick match word from the language shown in arrow 2. But as
> you see, pivot still take the character from keyboard directly , not from
> the input bar.
>
> So the bug still stand as
>
> Fail to input character other than English

> Do you agree?
Yes, the issue is still valid, now the only problem for us is how to
test it (at least on Windows) ... do you have some suggestions (write
here and/or in the issue) ? And maybe a minimal sample ?
In the meantime I'll try to install Chinese support in some VM.

Another question:
in a Label the Chinese text is well shown (should be Ok here) ?

Last, if you try the Pivot 2.0, do you have the same issue ?
(I think you should have the same problem, please tell us, it's important).

Thanks again,
Sandro

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
some update on this:
even Noel confirmed that this is NOT an issue, using a right font
solve the problem.

BUT I think it's useful to show the right way to do this, so I'm
thinking to add some doc (and maybe a dedicated sample) on this:
if possible in an existing tutorial (or in a new one), or maybe under demos ...

What do you prefer ?

Note: Brendan (and others) should help us to test it, with a right
Chinese setup both in Windows 7 and Mac OS.

So I just renamed and put some info in the issue ...

Tell me.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, thanks for now.
Sandro

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com>.
I created an issue with screenshots:

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Could be the font that you currently use that is not able to show
desired chars, so you see boxes ... I haven't a Mac so I'm sorry I
can't test, but I could on other platforms ...

Can you try and tell us ? Thanks.

Could you file an issue in jira ?
And then post there a sample screenshot and maybe a minimal sample ?

Thank you a lot,
Sandro

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com>.
I don't think it is the issue of font since I can copy and paste into the
Component.

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
sometimes this question arise ... for what I remember should be a
problem of font (the font you use is unable to show desired chars).

Can you try using a different font ?

Sandro

Re: Fail to input character other than English

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Can you please create a JIRA ticket so we can track this?  I vaguely
recall another issue about this from last year, so maybe do a search
before creating a new ticket.

We will have to look into this.  Also, if you could try TextArea and
TextPane (if you can easily do that) to see what happens with those
controls.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Posted by ccp999 <cc...@hotmail.com>.
When I tried Web based demo on Mac Lion, I get nothing for Chinese input
Method.  The character is still appeared as english character.

When I try the same Web based demo of pivot in Window os, I get "Box"
instead of chinese character I entered.

I don't know how to enter Thai or other....

Have you guys tested this with French?

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
Hi Brendan,
   Can you try a Java Swing demo to see if that works?  What happens if
you try some of the Pivot web-based demos on Lion with a Chinese input
method?  Just trying to see if it is specific to Pivot or something more
general about Java and Lion and the Chinese Input Method Editor.  What
about a Korean or Thai method editor?  Do they work?

~Roger Whitcomb