Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by ES...@bcbscny.org on 2001/08/27 23:31:12 UTC

Vanishing Messages - Problem with WebSphere on s/390

We are trying to test logging from within a servlet using a
ConsoleAppender. It appears (via lots of System.out.println statements)
that the logging facility is working in the sense that it is picking up the
category, but no messages are appearing in our sysprint/sysout.

My conclusion is that the messages are being lost when the calls to the
writers are being made, but I could be wrong.  I did test something running
under "pure" USS by just telnet'ing into the machine and running a app from
the cmd line and that worked fine.

TIA for your help!

Eric Stephens
estephen@bcbscny.org

Re: Vanishing Messages - Problem with WebSphere on s/390

Posted by Paul Glezen <pg...@atdial.net>.
EStephens@bcbscny.org wrote:

> We are trying to test logging from within a servlet using a
> ConsoleAppender. It appears (via lots of System.out.println statements)
> that the logging facility is working in the sense that it is picking up the
> category, but no messages are appearing in our sysprint/sysout.
>
> My conclusion is that the messages are being lost when the calls to the
> writers are being made, but I could be wrong.  I did test something running
> under "pure" USS by just telnet'ing into the machine and running a app from
> the cmd line and that worked fine.

Eric,

You mentioned that it worked using "pure" USS via telnet.  What were you
using before?  TSO via a Rumba session?  If so, could that affect what
happens to stdout?

- Paul
--
Beware of bugs in the above code.  I have
only proved it correct, not tried it.