Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2012/08/30 15:52:04 UTC

[site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Hi all guys,

new Apache Maven Fluido Skin is gonna be released soon, I started
experimenting locally how the _main_ commons site would look alike if
the new skin would be applied (with some modifications): voilà[1] :)

If you think that putting more effort on it would worth, I am glad to
continue doing more work on applying also to a component site (with
different layout), publish to my local ASF space, and see the result -
OTOH I'll become definitively silent and won't bother on that topic
anymore :)

WDYT?
Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

[1] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons/index.html

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/30 Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Simo,
>>
>> great work, I really like the fluido skin and would like to see it go
>> live for commons.
>>
>> One minor issue: does the releases section need to have a drop down
>> although there is only one entry in the sub menu? IMHO the commons
>> parent site does not need a releases section at all. The list
>> displayed is the same as the one from the components sub section.
>> OTOH it would be cool if the releases page displayed the last recently
>> released components sorted by date with a link to their release notes.
>> But I guess that would imply a lot of maintenance work.
>>

> Unless there is a way to pick up the latest posts from announce@...

That would be even cooler ;-)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simo,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/8/31 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
>>> I've uploaded a screenshot of that page taken with my mobile [1].
>>> Doesn't look to well, anything you can do about that?
>
> :(
>
>> Step 1: Make "Welcome to the Apache Commons" half its current font size.
>
> yup, I have no more bullets in my gun that the one Gary suggested, I
> just re-uploaded the site[1]
perso I would reduce a bit the width of the sidebar :-)

> How does it look?
> TIA,
> -Simo
>
> [1] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons-sidebar/

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 31, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi Ralph!
>
>> Actually, I am not sure that the full listing of the components on the main page even needs to be there.  If you click on "components" in the left nav you get pretty much the same thing.  So I would prefer to see a much shorter section on Commons Proper, perhaps with the same link in that text.
>>

> That is indeed the reason why I originally put the carousel in the
> first attempt[1] rather than the complete list, but I reverted for the
> purpose to achieve the general agreement to apply the skin

With as many projects as we have the carousel isn't very usable as it takes too long to cycle. With the sidebar I don't think you really need that.

Ralph

Re: [site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Ralph!

> Actually, I am not sure that the full listing of the components on the main page even needs to be there.  If you click on "components" in the left nav you get pretty much the same thing.  So I would prefer to see a much shorter section on Commons Proper, perhaps with the same link in that text.

That is indeed the reason why I originally put the carousel in the
first attempt[1] rather than the complete list, but I reverted for the
purpose to achieve the general agreement to apply the skin

> Is this work in preparation for moving to the CMS?

That is the idea - new way to publish the site, new skin.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

and just to say it clearly: i am very much +1 to finally add this skin.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Bene,

please ignore the topbar navigator, sounds it won't in consideration.

danke,
-Simo

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi again,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/30 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Hi all!
>
>>> - I find the slider gadget thingy disconcerting. I do not know that it will
>>> slide, I thought it was a bug and that the other components were missing
>>> (see above). Then, poof!, it does slide. I would not use it so prominently
>>> if at all.
>
> table restored, more work on the carousel could improve the l'n'f IMHO
> but let's back to the roots first :)
>
>>> - Does not look good on my iPhone. The main issue is that the top menu bar
>>> takes up a third of the screen. We need to consider mobile IMO.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> unfortunately Twitter Bootstrap just provides a responsive design wich
> adapts the "desktop" components to mobile phones - and they announced
> in the ML they don't have any plan (yet?) to write  aport on the
> mobile.
>
> Fortunately, I can still provide you a sample with the "classic"
> sidebar menu navigation - as shown in[1] - which should adapt better
> on mobile phones. Can you please verify it?
> TIA!

Hi Simo,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
as a side note: I think we could upgrade also the commons logo itself
starting from an svg the ASF made available[1], unfortunately I am not
good with inkscape... :(

best,
-Simo

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/press/kit/

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 August 2012 20:33, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>>> - I find the slider gadget thingy disconcerting. I do not know that it will
>>> slide, I thought it was a bug and that the other components were missing
>>> (see above). Then, poof!, it does slide. I would not use it so prominently
>>> if at all.
>
> table restored, more work on the carousel could improve the l'n'f IMHO
> but let's back to the roots first :)
>
>>> - Does not look good on my iPhone. The main issue is that the top menu bar
>>> takes up a third of the screen. We need to consider mobile IMO.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> unfortunately Twitter Bootstrap just provides a responsive design wich
> adapts the "desktop" components to mobile phones - and they announced
> in the ML they don't have any plan (yet?) to write  aport on the
> mobile.
>
> Fortunately, I can still provide you a sample with the "classic"
> sidebar menu navigation - as shown in[1] - which should adapt better
> on mobile phones. Can you please verify it?

Looks fine on my Android phone using the default browser.
Works well to have sidebar menu because one can shift the page across,
and then scroll the content.

Not so good using Opera Mini, but that is probably an issue with their server.

Also looks much better on my laptop.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 August 2012 15:34, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well done Simo!
>
> I have a couple of issues though:
>
> - The main page should, like today, give you a table of the active (aka
> proper) components.
> - I find the slider gadget thingy disconcerting. I do not know that it will
> slide, I thought it was a bug and that the other components were missing
> (see above). Then, poof!, it does slide. I would not use it so prominently
> if at all.
> - Does not look good on my iPhone. The main issue is that the top menu bar
> takes up a third of the screen. We need to consider mobile IMO.

Agreed.

Also, the current event looks wrong in the page footer. Not sure it
makes sense for the built-by Maven logo to be there either.

There's no Apache or Apache Commons logo, presumably because these use
relative links, and the images are missing.
Could you add the directory so we can see what it would look like?

The drop-down heading "External Links" should be renamed to "Apache
Links", or possibly flattened into direct links.

The top menu bar extends across the whole page, but the body does not.
This causes problems on mobile devices.

I agree it's difficult to read body text that extends across the whole
page, but there is now a lot of space either side that could be used
perhaps for logos or other items.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Well done Simo!

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/8/30 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/8/30 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
>> Salut Luc,
>>
>>> These are good news. Would we be able with this setting to go to svnpubsub?
>>
>> yes they will work, skin and SCM publishing are unrelated stuff -
>> Olivier Lamy, which is also commons committer, already did the job for
>> Apache DirectMemory via a new mvn plugin called scm-publish, hopefully
>> we can provide us a guideline.
>>
>> I will invite him to publicly explain us how to manage the SvnPubSub.
> Yup this plugin works (and you can simply use as today mvn site-deploy
> for a single module build :-) )
> I tested that for directmemory.a.o and archiva.a.o
> Note the archiva is a bit more complicated as it included more than
> one reactor but some sub site.
> But in the commons case I would recommend something similar we are
> testing for maven site
> Note this site include a lot of sub site (versionned plugins
> documentation, shared components, scm etc...)
> But if using the plugin for svnsubpub this means checkout too much
> content for just deploying a plugin site.
> See
> olamy@minotaur:~$ du -sh /www/maven.apache.org
> 6.3G    /www/maven.apache.org
> olamy@minotaur:~$ du -sh /www/commons.apache.org
> 2.3G    /www/commons.apache.org
>
> So we are trying a mixed solution :-) (branch:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/branches/INFRA-4466/trunk/).
> The main site is build tru cms (a buildbot job run maven site plugin
> and push content then we can publish to live:
> http://maventest.apache.org).
> The sub sites are deployed using the scmpub sub plugin. To avoid
> pubsub to delete those sub parts (because there are not generated via
> buildbot job), we worked with infra for configuring subpath to not
> delete in a file called expath.txt
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/branches/INFRA-4466/trunk/content/resources/extpaths.txt)
>
> This plugin is in maven sandbox
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/plugins/maven-scm-publish-plugin/).
Just moved out of sandbox:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-scm-publish-plugin/

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut Luc,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 30/08/2012 15:52, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
>> Hi all guys,
>>
>> new Apache Maven Fluido Skin is gonna be released soon, I started
>> experimenting locally how the _main_ commons site would look alike if
>> the new skin would be applied (with some modifications): voilà[1] :)
>>
>> If you think that putting more effort on it would worth, I am glad to
>> continue doing more work on applying also to a component site (with
>> different layout), publish to my local ASF space, and see the result -
>> OTOH I'll become definitively silent and won't bother on that topic
>> anymore :)
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> These are good news. Would we be able with this setting to go to svnpubsub?

If we would implement it the way like we did in Logging, then yes.
Basically we would then generate the site locally, copy the html to
another svn repository and commit it. We would be independent of the
build system.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [site] yet another proposal on how to restyle the commons site

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.