Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Allan <aa...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/22 00:02:35 UTC

Interested into Pig project

Dear all,

I am a student of Master Computing Engineering at Rome. I am interested
into collaborate with Rank function like SQL [#PIG-2353] for Gsoc.

I have been working with MR paradigm since three years, mainly with two
research projects (which were part of undergraduate projects).

One was aimed to analyze the incidence of navigability factors on websites
university network, by creating a inverse correlation among them through
links and citations.
 My undergraduate project was driven to solve the previous navigability
problem, by establishing relations among them according to terms used and
topics. Was really interesting to interleave some MR phases (some
modifications to Mahout code) and Pig.

I was checking the activities of this feature, and also an initial approach
at [#PIG-821], I think also could be useful dense rank an nth-tile.

Really thankful for your guidance and comments.

Best Regards,

--

Allan AvendaƱo S.
Computer Engineer

Re: Interested into Pig project

Posted by Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <gd...@apache.org>.
Hi Allan,

thanks for your interest in Pig.
Sorry for the late answer.

Having some experience with MR is surely a plus if you are going to work on
this feature.
The other things you would need are good Java coding skills and a lot of
patience to spend time understanding how Pig works.

If you decide to apply I will be happy to help you out with this.

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco