Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net> on 2003/08/16 13:19:40 UTC

Geronimo needs a tracking system

Geronimo needs a issue/defect/bug/request tracking system ASAP so that
we can manage all of the patches which are coming in.

There was a comment that scarab was coming to apache soon.  If this is
true, how soon is soon?

Also, some people have suggested that we use JIRA.  Personally I do not
care which one we use, though I have had some problems getting
information out of JIRA (but I think that could be a bug with Apple
Safari's handling of cookies).  I have reservations about using
Bugzilla and would prefer that we use a more user-friendly system.

Can we push to have this resolved ASAP.  Having a real tracking system
will help developers manage all of the incoming issues/bugs/patches
much more effectively.

How do we go about getting a tracking system setup?

--jason

Re: Geronimo needs a tracking system

Posted by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu>.
Or people could take an alternate route.  A lot of us see things that
Geronimo needs but aren't committers.  I prefer it that way for now.  I'd
rather be around long enough to prove I'm a team player, that I know the
technology and product and care about the project and respect the community.
I'd be cautious about swelling the ranks of the project too quickly.

But let's face it.  A lot of stuff needs to get done, and the time is now.
We can talk about ideas forever on this list, but talk won't make the tests
run.

So, what else can we do?

I created a project space at SF where I can work on some code and bring it
to maturity before submitting it to you guys.  I'm not going to have mailing
lists for this project, just CVS, bug tracking and the rest of the SF
project management features.  As long as it's built and distributed under
the Apache license, I can keep the talk about it here on this list (or the
MX4J list, because my work applies there a bit more for the moment).  If the
community later adopts it, it could become a subproject of Geronimo--or not.
We'll see.

If Elba is a sort of "output buffer" for Geronimo, nothing says we can't all
organize our own "input buffers".  Instead of working as one large
heirarchical mass we could work more like a P2P social network and form
smaller less dependent teams working with or around one another.  It's just
a matter of taking the initiative and not relying so much on the committers
to manage our efforts.  This allows the newcomers to participate and learn
the technology but it also takes some heat off of the committers to serve as
project managers.

The way we're doing it now is very cathedral style.  It's very cool,
exciting, open and free . . . but it still smacks of a cathedral.  And
that's to be expected.  Many of us are trained to naturally form cathedral
structures.  A lot of the people here are probably wondering "how do I get
started on this?  These people are already two years ahead of me in the
learning curve!".

I figured, instead of getting flustered about it, I might as well just post
some code up somewhere and start working on it.  I'm not advocating "all
motion and no direction" at all.  I'm not just writing code for it's own
sake--there's an end in mind.  When it's ready, if the community wants it in
Geronimo, it's theirs.  If not, I'll reinvent the wheel again, and make it
better.  Humankind has been reinventing the wheel for ten thousand years.
One more time won't hurt, right? I'll design it to be pluggable as a JMX
service.  Either way, I learn more about the technology and hopefully get to
know the community better, which brings me closer to the core of the
project.

And we can all do this without putting additional pressure on the current
committers and without breaking away from the community.

I hope this helps people consider an alternate perspective on how to get
their hands dirty around here without overstressing the PMC and the
committers.  It's a huge project and maybe the traditional method doesn't
scale well.  If this *were* a bazaar, the mailing list is the streets and
the little side project is like my tent or personal workshop.  No potter can
turn his craft in the middle of a crowded street, right?

Cheers, everyone ;-)
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Greg,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
All that is necessary in the interim is for geronimo to be added to
bugzilla.

	--- Noel

Re: Is a mailing list the best option ?

Posted by Jaspreet S Jodhka <ja...@hotpop.com>.
You can also view the mailing list archives at
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=140

You'll be able to read the entire thread in your browser. This is the
closest you can get to a forum.

Jaspreet

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
beside that if you just need the thread trees, you can configure
many email clients to display them (mutt, mozilla (thunderbird),
M$ entourage etc.).

tho - you have to maintain the subject lines accordingly ...

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
If you'd rather a forum style interface why not read the mail list via
your news reader on NNTP via gmane.org.

http://gmane.org/

Or if you really like web interfaces there are archives available.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=140

Currently all the documentation is on the Wiki...

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE

or on the generated website (which should move soon from my home
directory)...

http://www.apache.org/~jstrachan/geronimo/

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 03:38  pm, Jegadisan Sankar Kumar wrote:

> This is the first open source project that I have joined, but is there
> a better mechanism compared to a mailing list? Just got back, and
> check my mail box to find over 200 e-mails. End up having to read
> replies, and not knowing what the actual questions were.
>
>   Would it be better to have a forum like environment, whereby people
> can track the topics being discussed, and contribute to the ones that
> are closest to their hearts? At the very least we can view the
> questions, and the replies.
>
>   Also, maybe I need to catch up on my reading, but I seem to notice
> coding going on, and people starting to patch the system up. Is there
> any design documentation out? Use cases, sequence diagrams ? all that
> object oriented design stuff? Would help alot for people to get a
> holistic view of what is going on in the system
>
> Regards
> Jega
>

> Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com> wrote:
>

> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Daniel,

> >> The correct url is: http://jira.atlassian.com
> >>
> > Indeed. I'm also guilty of not ready Greg's posting too well, which
> was
> > councelling to not use an issue tracker. (Sorry Greg).
>

> I have no problem with using an issue tracker and think that we
> definitely
> should have one.
>
> I just don't think that it will help too much with the problem at hand
> now... which is getting lots of patches into a very dynamic system with
> a few task loaded committers.
>
> cheers

<image.tiff>Yahoo! Mobile
> - Send free SMS from your PC!

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Is a mailing list the best option ?

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
ah ok - i just thought because there is incubator.general,
there should be incubator.geronimo-dev ...

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
Its already there at gmane

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
just a quick note:

it would be possible to configure innd to accept
email messages from the mailing list and to send
news messages to the mailing list.

beside that there is an option which does not require
any configuration at all. just go to ...

  -> http://gmane.org/

they are offering a service similar to the one
described above, which enables one to to read/post
messages to this list via a news reader.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If you look at http://nagoya.apache.org, you'll see that there was an
experiment to use Jive forums at one point (when it was Open Source),
because they can be tied into the mailing list system.  There may also be a
news interface.  Some of that is under discussion.  The key issue is tying
into the mailing list as the core mechanism.  NNTP allows that, as did Jive.

Posted by Jegadisan Sankar Kumar <ko...@yahoo.com.sg>.

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Daniel,
>
>>> Jira is alleged to be the best.
>>> http://jira.attlassian.com for those that want to play with it.
>>

>> The correct url is: http://jira.atlassian.com
>>
> Indeed. I'm also guilty of not ready Greg's posting too well, which was
> councelling to not use an issue tracker. (Sorry Greg).

I have no problem with using an issue tracker and think that we definitely
should have one.

I just don't think that it will help too much with the problem at hand
now... which is getting lots of patches into a very dynamic system with
a few task loaded committers.

cheers

Yahoo! Mobile
- Send free SMS from your PC!

Re: Geronimo needs a tracking system

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
I do not think we have to worry about patches going stale at this
point.  I am more worried that patches will get lost because no one
took it up to review and commit.

--jason

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Hofstetter <da...@gmx.ch>.
> Jira is alleged to be the best.
>
> http://jira.attlassian.com for those that want to play with it.

The correct url is: http://jira.atlassian.com

Bye,
Daniel

Re: Geronimo needs a tracking system

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.

Or http://jira.atlassian.com :-)

Re: Geronimo needs a tracking system

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.

Re: More committers

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Saturday, Aug 16, 2003, at 13:12 Europe/London, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> Kay, then you need to sign and fax the contributor agreement v2, not
>> sure what the link is to that at the moment.

it is @

http://incubator.apache.org/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf

the actual process for voting in new committers is @

http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/newcommitters.html

the process for handling tech details once a committer is voted in is @

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

atm it is probably a good idea to have your sponsoring members
handle most of this stuff until you get to grips with the process :D

in general, all (would-be) contributors and committers would do well to
read through www.apache.org/foundation/, www.apache.org/dev/,
incubator.apache.org and jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html. Stuff
might be a little spread out, but most parts of the process are actually
documented :D

best regards,

- Leo Simons

Re: More committers

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
On Saturday, Aug 16, 2003, at 13:12 Europe/London, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Kay, then you need to sign and fax the contributor agreement v2, not
> sure what the link is to that at the moment.

The only one I can find on the Apache site is:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/ASF_Contributor_License_1_form.pdf

(and
http://www.apache.org/foundation/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf
doesn't exist :-)

> Assuming that other binding voters agree that we should give you
> access.
>
> But this is just a guess, not sure what the official process is,
> perhaps that is listed somewhere on the apache website, not sure.

The only links I can find are

http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html
   and
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html

and they just refer to contributing (done that :-) and signing
agreement 1 above. Is that the one I need to sign, or should there be a
different flavour?

Alex.

Re: More committers

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.

Re: More committers

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@bandlem.com>.

Re: More committers

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.

Re: More committers

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
Hrm... I disagree about the tracking system.  I do agree we need more
committers.

Alex seems to be very active, how about we get'em commit privs?

--jason

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.