Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2001/08/18 05:46:46 UTC

reg c2 documentation HOW DO I

I see a good solution that will build upon your proposal
to develop FAQ collections. This solution would utilise
the power of the cocoon-users community to maintain it
and would ensure accurate FAQ entries.

Interested people would post their topic to the list
in the usual manner and discussion would ensue on that
thread. Prepend the Subject with the tag HOWTO:
Use a concise yet descriptive subject title.

In that way, *anyone* who wants to build an FAQ collection
(e.g. you) can glean accurate and up-to-date discussion
directly from the list archives.

This approach obviously has many benefits, some are:
* discussion remains in one central mailing list and
so the threads can be followed as per normal
* the cocoon-users group can immediately benefit and
will be able to contribute to developing the solution
* anyone can utilise the HOWTO threads to build their
own collections of frequently asked questions
* one can even build a local email FAQ archive by using
an email client to filter the list broadcast based on title
* some relevant HOWTOs can also be added to the Apache
Cocoon documentation using the Contrib method (see below)
* search engines can utilise the HOWTO content in the
mail archives to provide another discovery mechanism
* use the power of search engines to restrict the search
to documents containing HOWTO in the title
* your FAQ collection can even link directly to the
relevant discussion thread in the archives.

Plea to cocoon-users: use well chosen words for your
email messages (especially a descriptive subject line).
Search engines thrive on good content. Also, as this is
a voluminous list - we need to be able to glance through
the list of titles. Postings with inappropriate subject
lines will get missed.

Your message below refers to the cocoon website and
documentation as being "official". Remember that this
is an open source project - no officialdom is involved.
Everyone and anyone can partake. So some important FAQs
will obviously end up in the main documentation set.
Anyone can and should contribute those, using the
procedure described in the document contrib.html - you
need the current Dev Snaphot or cvs checkout (see bottom
on the Cocoon site side-bar).

So, who is going start the first HOWTO topic thread?

regards, David Crossley

2. Read the documentation..

Honestly, these answers are absolutely proper in their
own right. As i mentioned before, the documentation
mentioned at the official site is very vast and
sufficient..But still people ask "how can do ..."
For example, how many time users have asked repeatedly
about "How do i run my c2 without running full X
server"?..

May be i am wrong in my perception...just a thought..

RE: reg c2 documentation HOW DO I

Posted by Luca Morandini <l....@tin.it>.
Dabid,

	your idea is interesting, but, on the other hand, a mailing list is not
suited to host FAQs, since it would store obsolete/wrong ones as well, it
will still need human intervention to sort out the messages.

	Moreover, It's quite easy to send new FAQ entries to the Cocoon2 site
itself.

	Hence, I can't see the need for a new FAQ site (or for a mailing list
enriched by HOWTOs). It would be much better, in my eyes, to make the
Cocoon2 site richer than spawn new ones.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
            lmorandini@ieee.org
          +39 0744 59  85  1 Office
          +39 0335 681 02 12 Mobile

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I fully agree with you Luca. I was trying to sort out
a procedure for handling discussion on the development
of each HOWTO topic. I was not proposing that the final
FAQs be stored on the mailing list. I agree that the actual
QandA entries do belong in the Cocoon2 documentation set.
Others should be free to build their own FAQ collections
if they choose. However, the ideal is to have the main
FAQ repository at Apache Cocoon.

OK, let us assume that we can design and manage a large
FAQ document collection using the Cocoon documentation
format. Then how would we go about developing the content?
I feel that can only be gleaned from discussion that has
occurred on the two cocoon mailing lists.

I look forward to this thread leading to a good solution
for FAQs, because that is definitely needed.

I actually see that the Cocoon documentation may be
cumbersome for management of such a collection. One subject
per page with a reasonable number of topics on each subject
should work. It would need a front index page linking to
each subject page. One large page FAQ like Cocoon1 was
not a workable solution.

cheers, David Crossley

Posted by Luca Morandini <l....@tin.it>.
Dabid,