Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sujit Acharyya-choudhury <s....@bbk.ac.uk> on 2015/03/12 12:40:46 UTC

is spamassassin scoring too high points

We are using MessageLabs for our most of our inward mails.  However, we
also get mails from other places as well.  In order to get rid of spam,
we have installed the latest version of spamassassin, which is set to
reject any mail at smtp time if the score is over 12.  What I find
peculiar is some mails from MessageLabs are not scoring as high as the
one scored by spamassassin.

Below is the example of the header which has been rejected at SMTP time,

2015-03-12 09:05:51 1YVz3t-0001lJ-6m H=mail6.bemta5.messagelabs.com
[195.245.231.135] F=<te...@DODOBOOKING.COM> rejected after DATA: This
message scored 25.8 spam points.

Envelope-from: <te...@DODOBOOKING.COM>

P Received: from mail6.bemta5.messagelabs.com ([195.245.231.135])

        by mail2.ccs.bbk.ac.uk with smtp (Exim 4.80.1)

        (envelope-from <te...@DODOBOOKING.COM>)

        id 1YVz3t-0001lJ-6m

        for g.christodoulides@bbk.ac.uk; Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:05:49 +0000

P Received: from [195.245.231.67] by server-13.bemta-5.messagelabs.com
id D7/7A-09628-DE651055; Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:05:49 +0000

  ADVANCE_FEE_1,ADVANCE_FEE_2,FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK,TO_CC_NONE

P Received: (qmail 32108 invoked from network); 12 Mar 2015 09:05:48
-0000

P Received: from cre.creative3ddesign.net (HELO
cre.creative3ddesign.net) (192.254.214.131)

  by server-7.tower-82.messagelabs.com with DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA encrypted
SMTP; 12 Mar 2015 09:05:48 -0000

P Received: from 41-66-233-120-dedicated.4u.com.gh ([41.66.233.120]:8629
helo=User)

        by cre.creative3ddesign.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.85)

        (envelope-from <te...@DODOBOOKING.COM>)

        id 1YVyxT-0000ed-Cl; Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:59:12 +0400

R Reply-To: <ma...@gmail.com>

F From: "Mr. William Koffie"<te...@DODOBOOKING.COM>

  Subject: Please i apologize using this medium to reach you.

  Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:58:57 -0000

        charset="Windows-1251"

with any abuse report

Unfortunately we don't have the full message to take it up with
MessageLabs.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Regards

Sujit Choudhury

Re: is spamassassin scoring too high points

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 13.03.2015 um 00:06 schrieb Chris:
> they definitely not aggressive, I am actually struggling to reach 5
> points on most spam.

train your bayes and adjust scores in "local.cf"

we reject above 8.0 points and 99% of all junk making it through
postscreen and other filters before SA are rejected with way higher scores

tagging between 5.5 and 7.9 and per day there are 10-15 messages tagged
the rest has a BAYES_00 and/or is abcked by DNSWL scoring

> On 12 March 2015 at 12:10, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>> please don't top post
>>
>> Am 12.03.2015 um 13:06 schrieb Sujit Acharyya-choudhury:
>>>
>>> I don't have any custom rules nor I am using sought.cf. I have chosen
>>> the standard installation without any tweaks.  I am just worried,
>>> whether I am being too aggressive in blocking messages which are not
>>> blocked by MessageLabs.
>>

>> the default SA rules are for sure not too aggresive
>> why premature worries without any indication?
>>
>> and even if you reject a message which would have made it through
>> MessageLabs that means *nothing* as long it's not a *real* false positive
>>
>> we block each days a lot of forwardings from different mail services all
>> having their own spamfilter and at the end of the day it turns out they are
>> indeed spam

>>> R_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS,HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_W
>>> L,SPF_PASS,T_MIME_MALF,T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Re: is spamassassin scoring too high points

Posted by Chris <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
please don't top post

Posted by Sujit Acharyya-choudhury <s....@bbk.ac.uk>.
I don't have any custom rules nor I am using sought.cf. I have chosen
the standard installation without any tweaks.  I am just worried,
whether I am being too aggressive in blocking messages which are not
blocked by MessageLabs.
I accept the scoring method will be different.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.