Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com> on 2004/06/02 22:06:40 UTC

OJb Blog entry

Found this =)

http://blog.w1c.ca/index.do?post=40288383fce5876c00fce6365cac0011

-Brian

Re: OJb Blog entry, JDO and other things.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Robert:

Thanks for the answer. I agree with you, OJB needs to concentrate in
release the so long awaited 1.0 release. We have better thing to do.

BTW, I already posted again your OJB article to TSS. I hope this time they
will publish it. :-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: OJb Blog entry, JDO and other things.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Robert Sfeir dijo:
> Win what?  :-)
>
> The whole thing about java and open source is choice, there is no winner.
> Yes there could be more adopters, and yes some of the Hibernate stuff will
> end up in EJB 3.0, but in the end EJB is EJB, and the complexity of it all
> is not for every project.  OJB is for every project, it's lightweight and
> follows existing standards, Hibernate doesn't, and EJB 3 is a ways out.
>
> If EJB 3 is Hibernate, good let Hibernate go to the dogs with EJB3 and in
> the end OJB will be around for people like most of us on here who really
> don't want to deal with the layers EJB brings along.

Hi Robert and all:

I know you recently wrote an article about OJB. As you remember, I also
send a post to TSS, but was never published. The reason why they decided
to not publish, is obscure to me. But amazing is that, after I ranting at
TSS a new Cocoon article that I posted a link few days before my public
rant, was published! The OJB article never. I will try to post it again.

The "win" expression is a metaphore. For some people (including me),
english is not our first language and it is hard to express correctly what
we think in your language.

In the literal sense of "win", maybe there are no winners expressed in a
cash income. I think even in OS there are winners too. ie: The Apache
httpd project is a winner. It is used for more than 60% of web servers in
the world and not just because it is free. And is perceived also as a
winner. A winner in the same sense when you win a race in the school. You
don't receive a money (or nothing) for your victory, but you are happy of
that. You feel as a winner.

In the same sense, I think we need to let developers know that here is a
wonderful project called OJB. I think Open Source projects also need
publicity (as your article) and more links to OJB in the web. I already do
little efforts about that. I will be glad to see more OJB users.

I have also concerns that the Open Source world is become very political.
Today I hear more often hear people saying that "because of politics"
things go this way. I think it damage the overall OS communities. I think
that the big commercial player have a big share in that. They need to
protect own products. But maybe I am wrong here. As a sample, see the
votation against JDO in JCP.

While we are talking about all this, I also wanted to tell that EJB3 is
often perceived as a big slow and complex. In cotrast, there are many
lightweight containers that already probed to be good enough in a far
easier way. And that is important too. OJB have a place there too!

Weeks ago, I sent a mail to jdocentral requesting for a change in the link
to OJB. They had an old link there. On the mail I explained OJB developing
a JDO RI. The answer received from David Jordan was:

"I hope OJB becomes fully compliant with JDO soon.
MANY are wanting this as an open source alternative.
Many have said they will not consider the commercial
offerings until such an open source implementation
is also available."

So we have a challenge, many people outhere is waiting for us! :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: OJb Blog entry

Posted by Robert Sfeir <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Win what?  :-)

The whole thing about java and open source is choice, there is no winner.
Yes there could be more adopters, and yes some of the Hibernate stuff will
end up in EJB 3.0, but in the end EJB is EJB, and the complexity of it all
is not for every project.  OJB is for every project, it's lightweight and
follows existing standards, Hibernate doesn't, and EJB 3 is a ways out.

If EJB 3 is Hibernate, good let Hibernate go to the dogs with EJB3 and in
the end OJB will be around for people like most of us on here who really
don't want to deal with the layers EJB brings along.

JMHO.

On 6/2/04 9:58 PM, "shing@iwaynet.net" <sh...@iwaynet.net> wrote:

> Very interesting.  I find myself asking the same questions.
>
> Hibernate is over hyped.  But, could win anyways if OJB doesn't get the
> recognition it deserves.
>
> Quoting Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>:
>
>> Found this =)
>>
>> http://blog.w1c.ca/index.do?post=40288383fce5876c00fce6365cac0011