Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Bill Sparks <js...@cray.com> on 2013/11/14 17:56:27 UTC

SPARK + YARN the general case

Sorry for the following question, but I just need a little clarity on expectations of Spark using YARN.

Is it possible to use the spark-shell with YARN ? Or is the only way to submit a Spark job to YARN is by write a Java application and submit it via the yarn.Client application.

Also is there a way of running the Spark master so that it can communicate with YARN so I can use the web UI for job tracking.

Thanks,
  Bill

RE: SPARK + YARN the general case

Posted by "Liu, Raymond" <ra...@intel.com>.
Well, with #101 pull request get merged. Shark on yarn and spark streaming on Yarn should both working.

I do verify both these working modes with simple test case when I submit the #101 request,  while codes changes a lot after that. Might have a few little things to fix.

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Michael (Bach) Bui" <fr...@adatao.com>.

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Michael (Bach) Bui" <fr...@adatao.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Phillip,

I haven't actually tried spark streaming on YARN at this point so I can't say for sure, but as you say just from what I've read I don't see anything that would prevent it from working.

Since I don't know of anyone that has tried it I wouldn't be surprised it atleast something small needs to be fixed to support it though.

Tom

On Friday, November 15, 2013 9:40 AM, Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com> wrote:

Tom,

Can you just clarify that when you say "Spark on Yarn only supports
    batch mode" that you are not excluding Spark Streaming from working
    with Yarn?  A quick scan of the Spark Streaming documentation makes
    no mention of Yarn, but I thought that this should be possible.

Thanks,
Philip

Posted by Philip Ogren <ph...@oracle.com>.
Tom,