Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/02/05 21:56:26 UTC

RE: James questions

> I am attempting to configure James 2.1 for Virtual Domains on
> Red Hat Linux 8.  I have set up the VirtualUserTable and the
> users table in MySQL 3.23.55.

> 1.  Does the JDBCVirtualUserTable mailet go in the transport processor?

That is where I put it, yes.

> 2.  How does user@domain.com resolve to 0000-user in my users database?

See the documentation.  There is a SQL query that does the mapping.  If you
have setup the table properly, you should have an entry that looks like:

user | domain.com | 0000-user

You are responsible for adding 0000-user to your user repository, yourself.
Personally, I do all of that using SQL.  I only use the RemoteManager for
one thing ...

> 3.  What is the correct way to stop James?  Executing phoenix.sh stop
>     doesn't seem to unbind the ports.

See the documentation for the RemoteManager.  For example:

$ telnet localhost 4555
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
JAMES Remote Administration Tool 2.1.1a6
Please enter your login and password
Login id:
root
Password:
XYZZY
Welcome root. HELP for a list of commands
shutdown
Shutting down, bye bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

See also: http://cvs.apache.org/~acoliver/trivial.html

> 4.  When using the VirtualUserTable, what function do the the handler
>     tags in the pop3server and smtpserver serve?

The same ones that they always server.  Configuring the handlers.

> I've been testing the current configuration and according to the logs,
> James is sending and receiving emails, but messages appear in the error
> directory (using file messages, not database

See the <processor name="error"> section.  You probably have the
ToRepository mailet configured to use a file store.  Actually, that's fine.
So do I.  I keep errors and spam in the file system, and only real messages
in the database.  That is partially because we use real-time replication
with our database servers, and there is no point in backing up spam.

	--- Noel